nothing like a bit of lateral thinking in the morning

hatbeard
hatbeard Posts: 1,087
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Today I decided to stop at the gym en route to work rather than put the bike at work and walk back to the gym, I was prepared with my mini faghettaboudit d-lock for the frame and a kryponite cable just to give the thieves some minor hassle in getting the wheels off.

Except when I got there and put my bike in the rack (one of those low ones with the two bars shaped like D's laying on their back that you put the wheel into) I notice what amounts to a gaping chasm in the distance between the lowest part of my frame and the bars that my lock has no way of reaching. the chance of getting the cable round my wheels and into the lock were even more remote.

I stood there for a good 2 minutes scratching my head while some kind onlooker laughed at my misfortune then I was struck by divine inspiration and tried flipping the bike over and chaining it to the top tube instead. it took a lot of effing and blinding put I actually pulled it off and I was so proud of myself I had to take a picture to share with you...

img0407w.jpg

it was far too early for these kind of shenanigans, I hadn't even had a coffee yet.

it's also not something I'd probably repeat on a regular basis, but I suppose it's a handy technique in a pinch.
Hat + Beard

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Dirty BB there matey :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Dirty BB there matey :wink:

perfectly normal. It's a CX bike :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • hatbeard
    yeah I need to give it some tlc this weekend, haven't been too sure what regular maintenance I should be doing just yet being a noob and all.
    Hat + Beard
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    I dont leave the house until I've had a coffeeno matter how late I am....ever. Your lock looks stronger than the 'bike rack'
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • hatbeard
    Lancslad wrote:
    I dont leave the house until I've had a coffeeno matter how late I am....ever. Your lock looks stronger than the 'bike rack'

yep, I only locked up there as I was only using the shower, don't think I could concentrate in the gym with it locked like that for longer than a few minutes.
    Hat + Beard
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Good thinking! Those racks look pathetic!
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Those racks are bike supports only, they provide no real security.
    I hate 'em !
    Misguided Idealist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At least doing it that way the saddle and bars/stem etc are pretty hard to nick!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    ...but won't your bars and saddle end up getting scuffed/dirty? Or do you just not care?
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • pst88 wrote:
    ...but won't your bars and saddle end up getting scuffed/dirty? Or do you just not care?

Well, he does wave his hands in the air
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    pst88 wrote:

Careful, you only recently did the venison/deer joke, don't wanna tire yourself out :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    pst88 wrote:

Careful, you only recently did the venison/deer joke, don't wanna tire yourself out :twisted:

That was a fine joke. s'not my fault you lot have no sense of humour :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • hatbeard
    pst88 wrote:

better to be scuffed and still there than still pristine and in the hands of a bike thief.
    Hat + Beard
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    ummmm, isn't this more upside-down thinking rather than lateral thinking?

just saying like...

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Inverted logic you mean?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.