Anti seize copper grease or threadlock??

kyle_172@hotmail.co.uk
edited December 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi, i will be building my bike up in the next few days and was wondering what would i be best using either threadlock or anti seize copper grease? Is there advantages to using either of them?Should i use a mixture of them and if so on which parts? I would get my LBS to do it but i think it would be a good way of learning by constructing it myself although once finished i will get it checked by the local LBS for safety. Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it depends on what you are wanting to put it on.

both and some grease.

thread lock on things you dont want to come lose. anti seize for things that you want to undo. and grease for moving parts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Copper grease is good for 90% of what you need. Certain components need something a bit heavier, particularly with warn parts, but generally speaking you wont go wrong with copper grease.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Blue Loctite 242 is useful on safety-critical stuff like rotor bolts and stem bolts which you really don't want to come loose and I have also used it on cartridge bottom brackets.

Anti seize? Hmm not much really on a bicycle - maybe close tolerance pivot bolts, pedal axles, chain ring bolts that sort of thing.
  • Would white lithium grease be good? I'm just looking through the whole 3 in 1 range ha.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    White grease is good. A little here and there makes it look as though you know what you're doing :wink:

Smells good too.
  • Copper grease is an anti sieze product, don't use it on bearings or anything that moves. Its for bolts and other fixings that you want to be able to easily undo in the future. You can use it on seatposts (not carbon though) to stop them creaking as well.

Your lithium grease is for bearings.

Locktite is for bolts and other fixings that you don't want to come undone by accident. It also has some anti sieze proporties.
  • Sounds right up my street pretending to know what am doing.
  • so basically i could just get sum loctite for the bolts and screws etc and sum lithium grease for bearings and so on
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well you should not have any screws on your bike. May be a few set screws :wink: dont thread lock everything as that can cause more problems than it solves.

have a read of Parktools.

also Lithium grease is not one grease but many so in answer to you question Yes/no/maybe it depends.

Cycle white lithium grease yes..
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I will only be using the loctite for the mechs really and the lithium grease for everything with moving parts and copper grease for like the headset and that. Is that ok? Sorry im a bit new to doing this.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd use anti-sieze on pedal axle to crank, and possibly on BB cups. Loctite I'd only use on rack and mudguard fixings to stop them rattling free. Thin smear of grease on all other threaded components, dropouts, QR skewers, metal seatpost, and anything that creaks eg saddle clamp / rail interface, stem to bar clamp, chainring bolts.

Once you move on to maintaining the thing in use, all bearings obviously need grease (or replacement if they are sealed), freehub needs periodic flushing and oiling, transmission needs cleaning and lubing.
  • and copper grease for like the headset and that. Is that ok?

What did i say about where to use copper grease!