Marian Jones - Inside Sport

2»

Comments

• A complete WOFTAM then by the sound of things...
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Spezial wrote:
    On another note, in that same ESPN 30 for 30 series, I'd recommend the "The Two Escobars" documentary, really well made and very interesting, but not too uplifting, as you would imagine.

I watched that. It was very good. Really brought into perspective the word 'pressure' in respect to sport.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    RichN95 wrote:
    Spezial wrote:
    On another note, in that same ESPN 30 for 30 series, I'd recommend the "The Two Escobars" documentary, really well made and very interesting, but not too uplifting, as you would imagine.

I watched that. It was very good. Really brought into perspective the word 'pressure' in respect to sport.

Just been watching the Reggie Miller Vs New York one, the 30 for 30 series is very good.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    dougzz wrote:

Just been watching the Reggie Miller Vs New York one, the 30 for 30 series is very good.

I never know when it's on. The one's I've seen have all been good, even if I'm not a fan of the sport.

On the topic of sports documentaries, I read about one today, that I want to see: Fire in Babylon - about the rise to dominance of West Indian cricket. It's been very well reviewed.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbJsy9MgFVw
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I have to say with the difference in the amounts of money in cycling and athletics then I think there is a chance there is more of a problem in athletics.

I still feel half of the problem is the system itself. Does the Jamaican Association have any incentive for investigating Usain Bolt when he is their cash cow ?

Until WADA look into this from the ground up I can't see much changing
  • senoj
    senoj Posts: 213
    I agree it was a soft interview,but i hadnt seen an interview with her before and was glad it was on.Logan was probably picked especially,and we got a little insight.
    Either that or a re-run of Wheeler Dealers.
  • A very good thread but dead easy to drift away. Athletics is not "hard" on drugs, that was and remains the problem. Even now, after she has done her pseudo "mea culpa" act to win over the little kids, apparently she has the brass neck to sit there with her lawyer saying you cannot accuse me of taking drugs because I was never caught. She was caught telling lies to a federal agents. Firstly regarding BALCO and then the thing that did it, the cheque fraud case that then was used with the BALCO lie to get her. Had she not done the cheque fraud scam, she would probably still have been with Gabby but doing an entirely different interview as one of the greatest ever Olympians. Lying to Federal agents is what she went to prison for. Nothing about any sporting offenses. USA athletics and IAAF did nothing of value. She is still on record as multiple World Champion, despite Liame Dick spouting a bit of hot air to make himself look good. If he thinks she will go down in posterity as one of the biggest sporting frauds how about striking out a few of her records & titles Dick - or would that require him to start facing up to the facts that as someone stated earlier - the whole barrel is rotten ?

Annoyed to miss the program. Did they do anything about her positive tests when at school and how even then she employed the most expensive, hot shot lawyer, Johnnie Cochran (who got OJ off his murder charge) to get her out of the soup ? Surely what more evidence of long term, planned cynicism on her part does anybody need ?
    Instead of attempting to do a proper report on her and then have it emasculated by the lawyers, the BBC should have just come clean and said, these are the questions we would have liked to have asked her but "born again" Marion refuses to have them in the interview. Now view her "sweet" responses in line with that position. As it is they then place themselves a forming a significant part of the problem that encourages the wrong mindset in children. It must be 15 years ago since I gave up refereeing youth football matches. The kids were diving and making lunatic appeals, exactly like they saw their "heroes" doing every Saturday night. That problem is not going away and until they git rid of pundits who did it and thus condone it in their commentary, there is no sign of redemption.

Sadly Marion is all too close to our "born again" Dave. Our boy was silent for the years when, if he had talked, and named names, current riders & managers would have been seriously implicated. As it is, he only talks about those who left the sport and his tune changes with time. Why didn't he name the riders with whom he shared rooms, who were doing drugs, straight after he "confessed" ? No, our boy Dave is continuing to play a cynical game. Remember his statement very early on, when he said that his special friend Lance had called him to offer support and encouragement. Short of getting a flag with the words "OMERTA FOR EVER" on it and waving it, he couldn't have been more transparent in his message to the rest of the peloton.

No, these people are very, very, very, sorry they were so unfortunate to get caught and are very sad about that.