Dump salvaged Rockhopper rebuild NOW COMPLETE

mowflow
mowflow Posts: 212
edited June 2011 in Your mountain bikes
I found this bike at the local dump just over a year ago. Apart from a torn seat and a flat tyre the bike was in reasonable working order although it had been well used and clearly never serviced. I gave the bike a quick clean and service so I could use it through the summer but the plan was always to strip and rebuild over the winter.

The whole build is being done on a budget so parts have been collected through the year in sales and off the classifieds. Since the frame was a bit shabby I decided to strip and repaint it. I was originally going to get it powder coated for a better finish but I wanted to reapply stickers and wasn't sure how a clear coat would take over the powder coat, plus, i like a challenge.

These pictures show the first stage (stripping and respraying). The whole process has taken a few weeks (I'm in no rush). The finish isn't perfect but I'm pretty happy with it.

As it came from the dump
DSCN0614.jpg

Stripped frame
2010-11-20130827.jpg
2010-11-20130909.jpg

Primed
2010-11-22171704.jpg
2010-11-22171728.jpg

Colour
2010-11-29190314.jpg
2010-11-29190513.jpg

Stickers and clear coat applied as well as bottom bracket and top of headset
2010-12-06205903.jpg
2010-12-06210219.jpg

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    nice work and a great find. can't wait for more updates :)
  • Not too bad! Paint job made it look tons better!

Let's see the next installment of pictures, i'm waiting.
  • coomber
    coomber Posts: 232
    Excellent work. Unsure how well the respray will hold up though, although stand to be corrected.

Amazing what some people throw away.
  • coomber
    The paint respray looks very good though, sorry, not raining on your fire!
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    That looks pretty good, nice job with the respray.

And, what an awesome find at the dump!
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    What parts are you going to put on it?
  • mowflow
    Coomber82. No offense taken. I agree that the respray may not hold up too well. It's a bit soft at the moment but I'm hoping that keeping it next to a radiator for a while help the lacquer harden up a bit.

It'll be an SLX groupset, Syncros FL finishing kit, Clarks brakes, Toras. So nothing flash. I've been collecting from sales and classifieds for a while. I've not added it up properly but I estimate I've spent around £200.
  • leaflite
    Nice!
    You know you should leave laquer to harden for a week before you begin to build it?
  • mowflow
    Yeah, I was told at least a week but preferably a month. I couldn't help myself sticking the bottom bracket and part of the headset on. Wish I hadn't though as I didn't use the work stand and scratched the paint a bit. That's convinced me to leave it be now.
  • leaflite
    mowflow wrote:
    Yeah, I was told at least a week but preferably a month. I couldn't help myself sticking the bottom bracket and part of the headset on. Wish I hadn't though as I didn't use the work stand and scratched the paint a bit. That's convinced me to leave it be now.

Ive just repainted the frame for the apollo project, and found a week was enough.
  • This should be a good project :) but what a waste, throwing a bike in the dump :(
  • mowflow
    The Apollo project turned out great.

Believe it or not I got another bike from the dump recently. A Ribble 7005 Audax (road bike). Needed a good clean and a new crank but otherwise perfect. I've got a friend who works at the council dump and he pulls any interesting bikes out for me to have a look at.

There was someone on here the other week with a Marin full susser that he'd saved from a skip. It really is unbelievable.
  • mowflow
    There's been a change of plan and I'm now looking for some more parts. The main problem was that the fork I planned to use for the project was a little shorter than I would have liked in the steerer so I've now got to wait on something that suits at the right price turning up. I've also decided to change the brakes as the change of forks could mean looking for adapters and from a quick search the Clarks SX brakes aren't the easiest brake to find adapters for. I'll probably just spend the extra on getting some Elixir 5s. So much for a budget build :)
  • Thats same frame I've got, But i bought mine off ebay :/ Think I might take trip to my local dump see if theres anything interesting.

How did you go about stripping it? and the specialized decals? Or did you paint those as well.
  • I wish I found things like that in the skip :D
  • mowflow
    I stripped the frame using paint stripper and a curved stripping tool that I made myself. The stripper got most of the old paint off then I just used sand paper to get the rest off. It took less time than I thought. The decals were purchase off a guy on ebid. He's got loads of different colours and they are really good quality.

A note on my previous comment about the new paint being a bit soft. The lacquer has now had over a week to dry and it seems a lot harder.
  • Ah cool, I might have to have a look into that, As I've been thinking of respraying my bike.
  • mowflow
    Finally got round to updating this with the finished pics. The bike was actually finished in January but I've just been too lazy to get these pics up.

Bike3-2.jpg

Bike2-1.jpg

Bike5.jpg

Bike4.jpg

Spec
    Frame: Rockhopper Pro circa 2003 I think
    Forks: marzocchi MX Lo Pro 100mm with spring removed to run as single air
    Bars: Syncros FL
    Stem: Syncros FL 90mm
    Headset: FSA The pig
    Grips: Superstar Lock ons
    Bar Ends:

Front Brake Lever assy: Avid Elixir 5
    Front Caliper: Avid Elixir 5
    Front disc: Avid 180
    Rear Brake Lever assy: Avid Elixir 5
    Rear Caliper: Avid Elixir 5
    Rear Disc: Avid 180
    Hoses: Standard Avid covered with Electrical heat shrink from ebay

Shifters: Shimano SLX 9 speed
    Cables: Shimano SLX
    Front Mech: Shimano Deore
    Rear Mech: Shimano SLX Shadow
    Chain Device:

Seat: Madison Prime
    Seat Post: Syncros FL
    Seat Post Clamp: Specialized

Cranks: Shimano SLX
    Chainring(s): Shimano SLX triple
    Chain: KMC X9
    Cassette: Shimano 9 Speed SLX
    Pedals: Wellgo MG1 (was using Time atac alium in the pic)
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano SLX

The wheels are still what was on the original bike. I stripped and rebuilt the hub. I only have a rough idea of what the wheels are
    Front Wheel:
    Rim: Sun
    Spokes: ?
    Hub: Stout
    Tube:
    Tire: Panaracer Fire XC 2.1

Back Wheel:
    Rim: Sun
    Spokes: ?
    Hub: Shimano something
    Tube:
    Tire: Panaracer Fire XC 2.1

Weight: ?

As one of the previous posters commented. The paint job isn't really standing up too well. It chips really easily and so has quite a few chips after 5 months of riding. To be honest I'm not that bothered. I enjoyed building it and riding it, the bike felt completely different, more comfortable and a good bit lighter.

I'm now planning on doing a FS build, something with around 140mm of travel. that's more or less why I bought the bigger brakes which are total overkill on this bike. I'll transplant as many bits as possible from this bike to the new build. Just need to find a frame to get started.
  • coomber
    Looks nice built up.

Parts look good mate, looks a nice bike that'll take some abuse.

Keep the frame and build it singlespeed or something if you get a full suss.
  • ceejay21
    ceejay21 Posts: 7
    Great looking bike you have there. Complete transformation from when you found it :D