My 10k challenge - FINISHED!!!!!!

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Nearly done it! Approx 250 miles to go. Every day it gets tougher - aside from being more knackered, the weather gets progressively more evil.

Didn't make 200 miles last week when the previous was over 300 (taa for that ITB!). Now I have no excuse not to ramp the miles up for the final push but for the fact that it is so cold my fingers end up in severe pain when I do get in (after an hour and a half or two of commute miles).

This weekend, I reckon I'll have to do two shorter runs a day as it will probably be too hard to do the miles in one go. Why is the weather doing this to me? I just hope that after a bit of r&r over Christmas, I actually feel some benefit from this torture!

Anyway, all in a good cause so please go clicky!. Won't be hurt if you don't - Bikeradar only needs one person to feel sorry for me to beat the car forum I posted my challenge on and got no response! :lol: Hopefully I get to celebrate in the Christmas Market beer tent next Monday evening. :D
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• Good stuff! What's your commute when you're not doing stuff for charidee?
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Done! :)
    Hat + Beard
  • rolf_f
    Thanks so much! I really do appreciate it :D

Extended commute is as per below - it's a good route; guarantees a headwind at least part of the way :lol: . Normal, sensible commute is more or less the direct route just south of East - through Rodley and onto the yellow road towards Headingley and then down Kirkstall Road to town through Burley but I barely ever go that way.

I have a few other routes though - one up to Pudsey and then Bramley and another around the East edge of Bradford and on towards Morley and back into town via Middleton and Hunslet. In the summer I've got out well beyond Harewood at the top right of the map. The variety reduces the pain, sort of! Also depends if I want to get straight into an evil climb or have a freezing cold descent before a bigger climb. West Yorkshire's a b****rd :lol:

ChevinCommute.jpg
  • rolf_f
    I've done it :lol:
    Finally made 10,000 miles on my way up York Gate over Otley Chevin. http://www.startfarm.co.uk/aspStats/Default.aspx

Many thanks to the members of Bikeradar who sponsored me:
    LiT
    Hatbeard
    Bobbygloss
    Jzed
    Sam
    I am hoping to reach £600 (not including the gift aid) which is more than double what I originally hoped for (pretty much like 10k miles is pretty much double what I thought I'd ride :lol: )

Also, much appreciation to CiB and ITB for making the SCStats spreadsheet happen. Without that, there is no way I'd have got caught up in the competitive craziness and therefore got anywhere near 10,000 miles and therefore had the nerve to grovel for sponsorship (speaking of which, there is still time to contribute! http://www.justgiving.com/Rolf-Farrell).

I'll be raising a pint to Bikeradar tonight :P

P1080234sm.jpg
    P1080237sm.jpg
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Good work sir in fact Chapeau!

but .... you know if you stop you're body will fall to pieces, don't you?

:twisted: :lol: :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Congratulations!
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • Well done indeed, great effort.

Back to business, who the hell did the cable-routing on your bike? They need shooting!
  • rolf_f
    Well done indeed, great effort.

Back to business, who the hell did the cable-routing on your bike? They need shooting!

I'm not sure how else it could be routed! The brakes are cantilevers with the top fixing just below the stem. You can just see the mount on the more scenic pic just below the Smart light.
    itboffin wrote:
    Good work sir in fact Chapeau!

but .... you know if you stop you're body will fall to pieces, don't you?

:twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Will it? Crikey! Just as well I'm not stopping............ :(