The shoe thread

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
What footwear are you doning during this cold snap?

As I usually commute in spesh BG with overshoes I'm kinda caught out, I have flats on my mtb so I'm wearing walking shoes, useless in these conditions, toes are all but dead.

Shackleton eat your heart out.

This could quite possibly be the most ghey thread ever but I'm comfortable with that.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I'm wearing exactly what I wore in the summer :twisted:
    FCN 2 to 8
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Same shoes as normal but with an extra pair of socks. Feet have been fine. My hands, on the other hand - brrrrrrrrr!
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Just bog standard trainers

sod all grip and useless in the wet, snow but can't afford owt else at the moment, will wait and get some spd's in the spring.
    Hat + Beard
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Five Ten trainers - very old but very warm
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Sealskinz socks and my normal Northwave MTB shoes.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited December 2010
    Lake MX 140s with two pairs of Sealskinzsocks; one long and one short

Toasty warm and dry. Can get a little sweaty, but tha's not really a problem.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Merrell GTX boots, merino Wollie Boolies, and walking socks. Nice and toasty.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    hatbeard wrote:

sod all grip and useless in the wet, snow but can't afford owt else at the moment, will wait and get some spd's in the spring.

Dude. Nike Air Force 1 are not just a bog standard trainer.

:shock:

They are the shoe for the uber chic and cool grown man. The only trainer to surpass those are Adidas decade in all white (if you can get your hands on them).

ITB, any tennis/basketball Adidas or Nike trainer (i.e. flat sole - like Adidas Stan Smith's) will do. Take yourself to Soletrader with £55 and pick your trend setting poison.

Double the socks and you'll be fine.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Edit: Thinking about Wiltshire, I'd probably by some hiking boots/trainers.

Any of these: http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=Merr ... hl=en&aq=f
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    edited December 2010
    I'm already wearing merino socks under thick walking socks with scarpa zen walking shoes, hard vibram sole and rubberised reinforced toes, still too cold

PN70469.jpg

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN70469

It's bad down these ways, freezing ice fog, visibility is only a few feet :S
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Karrimor walking shoes. And when they're drying out, Karrimor walking boots. And Aldi cycling socks, with football socks over the top.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Edit: Thinking about Wiltshire, I'd probably by some hiking boots/trainers.

Any of these: http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=Merr ... hl=en&aq=f

These are what I use - superb: http://www.purekit.com/product.asp?pf_id=31411&src=GBASE
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

They are the shoe for the uber chic and cool grown man. The only trainer to surpass those are Adidas decade in all white (if you can get your hands on them).

I know that and you know that but these guys don't know that... :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • five ten guide tennie, perfect grip for cycling special soles
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    hatbeard wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

I know that and you know that but these guys don't know that... :lol:

Dizzy knows.... http://tinyurl.com/3aytcf5
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Another one with Lake Winter Booties but mine are 7 years old with not much use but after paying £100 trade I need to get some use out of them, along with bog standard socks my feet are warm enough for the commute on the mean streets of Bristol. Tried with some sealskins but the boots were too tight and made matters worse.
    Will loosen the straps and give them another blast.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Spesh BG Expert MTB (only 30min commute, toes cold but not icicles)
    If really cold then stick on overshoes which then make feet a little sweaty but again, with 30min commute then not too bad.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Steel toe capped boots; which is an improvement on the bubble wrapped hiking shoes I was using!

Not the easiest of things to cycle in though, as each one weighs 1 kg
  • Hot Orange wrote:
    Karrimor walking shoes. And when they're drying out, Karrimor walking boots. And Aldi cycling socks, with football socks over the top.

Similar to this:

Cycling socks under under ski socks inside Karrimor walking shoes.

Toes only started getting cold after a couple of hours yesterday
  • dcremixbk.jpg

with two pairs of Merino Socks.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • mostly Salomon Women's XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX Gore-Tex Trail Running Shoe with sealskin socks - very toasty in the snow last week or inov8 mudroc
  • itboffin
    6165.jpg

Warm & smelly

win win :wink:
  • my usual spesh spd's. I've had a couple of days with dickies work boots on cos I didn't fancy being clipped in on the fluffy over ice snow.

pair of thick decathlon walking socks over aldi cycling ones and I'm warm as toast.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Seal skins merino liner socks under
    Seal Skins merino waterproof socks under
    Northwave Celsius boots under
    BBB Ultraflex 3mm thick overshoes.

The only thing distracting me from the coldness of my toes was the pain in my fingers........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    when i'm on the fixed, my normal shimano spds with some overshoes, in the recent snow where i've switched the the MTB with flatties because i don't want to die horribly, some five ten karvers - lovely and warm without the perils of being clipped in on ice.
  • old Royal Mail shoes, for the commute as they are smartish.

for MTBing some proper hiking boots that are a lot warmer, decent socks help a lot.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    northwave winter boots with a pair of woolie boolies. warm enough!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    These, from Decathlon:
    gd-asset_33127835.jpg

I'm pleasantly surprised by how warm, dry and comfortable they are. Chunky soles grip well on flats (though don't allow a wide range of positions) but importantly also allow you to hike through the snow without falling on your ar$e!
    Misguided Idealist
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Shimano MT60 gortex mtb shoes one size too big for so the hiking socks fit in and overshoes

This isn't terribly effective but I can do the 1h20m hour to work. The first 30 minutes is great and then entropy sets in