warranty original owner, transfer?

davivid
davivid Posts: 7
edited December 2010 in MTB general
I just purchased a bike second hand, but which is new (the mouldings are still on the tires etc) and in perfect condition.

I was looking at the warranty card and it says "important note: this warranty applies only to the original owner and is not transferable".

I overlooked this fact when deciding to save a couple of hundred, I was wondering if there is anything I can to about it? The bike is un-registered, so could I ask the name of the dealer who they purchased the bike from and then register bike, but with my name etc?

btw - its an Orange.

cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not transferable. you will need the original proof of purchase.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nothing you can do I am afraid. The contract of sale of the original owner lies with the dealer he bought it from, and is not transferable to new owners.

However... some companies [directly - not the retailer] may be able to do something for you if the frame fails, or certain parts. Rare though.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I know from personal experience that Orange are pretty fair when it comes to sorting you out if a frame fails...i.e they have given me great service despite not being the original buyer of a bike...course...between me and a couple of mates, we have had about 10 bikes off them direct....but still, i was surprised at what they were willing to do.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i had some pretty awesome service from specialized who gave me a 2 yr warranty on a second hand bike and its fork which i thought was more than fair (as long as you ignore the fact that the bike was typically riddled with warranty issues anyway!)