Power, Cadence, Gear

dougzz
dougzz Posts: 1,833
edited December 2010 in Pro race
In a sprint following a fairly flat day, say on the the 3rd day of a GT, what gear would Cav be in, what cadence, and what would his power output be at say,

400 metres to go when everyone is almost full tilt

100 metres to go when he's absolutely flat to the boards (unless he's at 70% because that's all he needs :wink: )

Comments

• a discush about his power was held here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... c&start=40
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • What gear do you think.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544
    What gear do you think.

Too high a gear in that stage early in this year's Tour :wink:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Gear? Probably something like 53-13 or 14. Depends on if it's pan flat, slightly uphill or downhill, near a corner, etc. With a good lead-out, no reason why he can't be in 53-11.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544
    Pokerface wrote:
    Gear? Probably something like 53-13 or 14. Depends on if it's pan flat, slightly uphill or downhill, near a corner, etc. With a good lead-out, no reason why he can't be in 53-11.

Nah must be at least a 55 x 11 - look at the Beginners forum and there are always people who can't use a compact as they'll spin out on 50 x 11 so the world's best sprinter would never manage on such a small gear :lol:
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    He's contractually obliged to be in the gear he's told to be in.

Mostly lycra, with socks, clipped shoes, gloves and a hat.

I'll get my coat.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Pross wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Nah must be at least a 55 x 11 - look at the Beginners forum and there are always people who can't use a compact as they'll spin out on 50 x 11 so the world's best sprinter would never manage on such a small gear :lol:

:D:D:D

However, I'm thinking in a flat sprint Cav will be in 53-11...didnt he mention someting about not being able to change into the 11 on one of the sprint that he lost this year? (not that I believe that that was the reason he lost.....but it does suggest he would be sprinting in 53-11 usually)
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    The commentator for the TDF this year said Cav was using a 54t chainset.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    a discush about his power was held here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... c&start=40

Cheers.