Explain irony

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Many, many times I've read here and elsewhere online the words

"It's ironic that...." or "The irony is"

Only for a person to retort

"Well that's not irony" or "It's not ironic".

Sometimes the person claiming said irony is right and sometimes they're is wrong. What conclusion I've come to is that there seems to be a online misuderstanding of what irony actually is.

So in simple terms for the benefit of the Internet, explain irony.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I don't know, I'll just ask Ms Morrisette. Hang on...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    It's what you do you get the creases out of your shirty.
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    It's like goldy and steely.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    verloren wrote:
    It's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Ah well that solves that then (note use of irony) 8)
  • jonginge
    Ooooooh. Well, in that case: some beans
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    edited December 2010
    It's like raaiiiin on your wedding day.

The trouble with irony is there are different types of irony. Verbal irony might be a statement that's the opposite of the speaker's true feelings; e.g. "oh, well done!" when someone drops your favourite mug and smashes it. "As clear as mud" is an ironic statement, as mud isn't clear at all.

Then there's the ironic situation or happenstance. For example, say a cyclist was wearing a fabric-covered helmet, crashed, and suffered rotational injuries to his neck due to the helmet snagging on the road. That'd be ironic, because a piece of equipment intended to protect him actually caused his injury.

Dramatic irony arises when the audience/viewer knows something the characters/cast don't. for example, I was watching "Merlin" recently, and in that Uther believes Morgana is his loyal ward and doesn't know she's his daughter; as a viewer, I know she's an evil cow, out to destroy Uther and take the seat of Camelot for herself.

I'm sure there are other types of irony too, if I cared to think about it more. I suppose the biggest area of potential confusion would be between people who see sarcasm and irony as distinct and separate, and people who see them as two side of the same coin.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • nicklouse wrote:
    verloren wrote:
    It's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

An irony is less intoxicating than a tinny.
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    A rusty leg joint.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    JonGinge wrote:

Behave!

PS - Isn't it ironic that Alanis writes a song about irony when she doesn't know what the word means?

PPS - no, not really!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    i think the key point is that irony is not sarcasm
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Rolf F wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Behave!

PS - Isn't it ironic that Alanis writes a song about irony when she doesn't know what the word means?

PPS - no, not really!

true, her song should just be called "bummer"
  • PBo
    Agent57 wrote:

Dramatic irony arises when the audience/viewer knows something the characters/cast don't. for example, I was watching "Merlin" recently, and in that Uther believes Morgana is his loyal ward and doesn't know she's his daughter; as a viewer, I know she's an evil cow, out to destroy Uther and take the seat of Camelot for herself.

SPOILER!!!!!
  • Actually I thought DDD posting a thread asking what irony was, was kind of ironic.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Chiggy
    PBo wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

SPOILER!!!!!

The irony is,,,, BBC's Merlin is 800 years out of period.

Lucius Artorius Castus lived in the 3rd Century AD.
  • Agent57 wrote:

The trouble with irony is there are different types of irony.

I disagree
    Agent57 wrote:

Then there's the ironic situation or happenstance. For example, say a cyclist was wearing a fabric-covered helmet, crashed, and suffered rotational injuries to his neck due to the helmet snagging on the road. That'd be ironic, because a piece of equipment intended to protect him actually caused his injury.

It's this, and only this.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Agent57
    PBo wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

SPOILER!!!!!

Sorry; that revelation was 2 months ago (episode 5). Do you only watch it once it's released on DVD?
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Chiggy wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

SPOILER!!!!!

The irony is,,,, BBC's Merlin is 800 years out of period.

Lucius Artorius Castus lived in the 3rd Century AD.

That seems more like Alanis style irony, i.e. not
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Chiggy
    edited December 2010
    TBH, I don't give a toss what the meaning of the word "irony" is.

Whatever is said, someone disagrees.

Which is nice.
  • Agent57
    Chiggy wrote:
    Whatever is said, someone disagrees.

I agree.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I found it particularly ironic, my lord, because I've got a thingy that's shaped like a turnip... I'm a big hit at parties… I hide in the vegetable rack and frighten the children.

:twisted:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • corona
    corona Posts: 116
    The police here used to display recently crashed cars at the side of the main road into the capital. These written off Landcruisers etc. were stuck on top of concrete plinths presumably to encourage drivers to drive safely, however all it did was to cause drivers to gawp at the gruesome wrecks (myself included). I frequently saw cars swerve off the road beside these monmuments and saw at least three crashes caused by them. A clear case of irony ?
  • PBo
    Agent57 wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

SPOILER!!!!!

Sorry; that revelation was 2 months ago (episode 5). Do you only watch it once it's released on DVD?

Don't worry - was just having a larf. We do get the DVDs, and my wife and son watch diligently - I tend to keep one eye on it, but not that fussed.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife, so you throw away all your spoons. At a later date it turns out that actually a spoon would have done to task just as well, if not better. That's irony.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Irony is my girlfriend driving to work cos "it's faster and warmer", then getting work after me and her car heater not working.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • jonginge
    Mr Plum wrote:
    Irony is my girlfriend driving to work cos "it's faster and warmer", then getting work after me and her car heater not working.
    Apologies to your g/f but I :lol:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's kind of a word used to describe life's habit of being a bit of a bastard.

My mum picked up our daughters for a weekend away, the roads were very icy and there was a long drive. I was going to text my mum to remind her to drive slowly. I didn't in case she crashed finding her mobile and reading the txt. This would have been a clear case of irony, or life being a bastard.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    JonGinge wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:
    Apologies to your g/f but I :lol:

Don't apologise, I did too :lol:
    FCN 2 to 8