Winter Tyre - Fail

Butterd2
Butterd2 Posts: 937
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Ok so the good news was that my postie came on Sunday bearing gifts from Wiggle :D

Unfortunately that's pretty much where the good news ends. I bought a pair of Vittoria Randonneur Cross tyres (700cx28) as 23mm slicks were a little hairy last week and some new "slime" tubes.

Now I have fitted some tight tyres in my time, I laugh at Marathon Plus's, but these are something else, I broke a full set of levers and ruined 2 tubes in the process of trying to get them fitted. (I know about not using levers to put tyres back on etc but there really did not appear to be any option). However after 3 hours of my precious Sunday I had 2 tyres fitted and a bloody big blister on my thumb for my efforts. I took the bike out for a quick spin and all seemed well so I put is away for the night.

When I went to get it out this morning the rear was flat, so after a quick curse I just pumped it up assuming it was a slow leak and that the slime may even do it's job. No such luck, 10mins down the road and it's completely flat so I stop in Greenwich park, get all my tools out and guess what? No f*cking tyre levers as they are all broken!

After a little cursing I flagged down a cyclist who lent me his 2 levers which I promptly also broke so as I turned around to go home another guy came by who had 5 levers on him and between us we finally got the tyre off. Spare tube went in ok and then the real fight began to get a cold, stiff tyre back on again without using levers. This was finally achieved but only at the cost of some very sore hands which are still hurting now :(

The only good news was that the CO2 inflator worked like a dream and I was back on my way.

Initial impressions of the tyres are good and for £11 each they were a bargain but the effort to fit them means I will think twice next time I change.

dhope - they do not appear much bigger than my 23's so you may be able to squeeze them in to "winterise" your FG but you'll need fingers of steel to fit them.
Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols

Comments

• I paid more for the XM pros, and seeing as I was able to fit them thumbs only, I think I'm glad I did!

A little weird to be cycling along with proper treaded tyres - it's like the bike doesn't know the words to the song.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I've been using Randonneur tyres (can't remember the exact version - but they were cheap and for touring on) on my commute beast for a few years. i don't think they are very sticky in the wet so be careful on bends in rain! Good news is they seem resistant to glass and flints and last a very long time. And they are really cheap.
  • Get yourself some yellow Pedro's levers. I challenge you to break those (and I royally mullered a set of Park levers 2 months ago). Also, I'm considering getting one of the big Pedro's tyre irons for home use (not feasible to carry). Please note that in your case, the Pedro's levers would make changing the tyre feasible, not easy :)
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Butterd2
    SamWise72 wrote:
    Get yourself some yellow Pedro's levers. I challenge you to break those (and I royally mullered a set of Park levers 2 months ago). Also, I'm considering getting one of the big Pedro's tyre irons for home use (not feasible to carry). Please note that in your case, the Pedro's levers would make changing the tyre feasible, not easy :)

Now that is a challenge I cannot resist....watch this space!
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Butterd2
    I've been using Randonneur tyres (can't remember the exact version - but they were cheap and for touring on) on my commute beast for a few years. i don't think they are very sticky in the wet so be careful on bends in rain! Good news is they seem resistant to glass and flints and last a very long time. And they are really cheap.

I was looking for something that would allow me to ride easy trails with my daughter, the tread looks the part and your comments on glass/flint are promising but given that I will still do 95% on road commuting I will proceed with caution, thanks.

(I really want to get on with them as they are so damn cheap)
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • In terms of light trail riding they were fine for the Thames path, across Wimbledon common and around Richmond Park. They are not MTB tyres but the stones, sand and gravel haven't cut the carcass at all. The things that have killed some of these are a 6 inch nail which went in teh sidewall ably assisted by the rack struts as it went round! Also I killed one when a spoke went and the brake rubbed on the tyre until it wore through :shock: Er - my fault then really!

I don't remember major issues with getting them on and off. Vittorias are a bit more snug than some other brands. I use mavic rims for what its worth. You are finishing at the valve aren't you when you put them on?

Good luck with the tyres.
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    Oh yes, and slime tubes just don't work in my experience. You just get all this... slime ... oozing out of the puncture that means patches won't stick. bleuch.
  • A bit of washing up liquid can help with fitting a tyre.
  • Spent some of the afternoon playing with just such a tyre! Thorn had gone through the shoulder ot the tread missing the armoured belts :x They are good on "Sustrans" type trails but can be very slippy on grass, especially when rutted. They roll fairly well on roads so they suit my needs well. Apart from thorns of course.

+1 washing-up liquid
    The older I get the faster I was
  • +1 on pedros levers
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Get a set of VAR levers and also practice at home changing the tyre. Obvious yes, but not everyone does. The VAR is the best lever out there imo
    M.Rushton
  • Butterd2
    bunter wrote:
    Oh yes, and slime tubes just don't work in my experience. You just get all this... slime ... oozing out of the puncture that means patches won't stick. bleuch.

I have to agree with you there. I had not used them before and saw some on eBay at the same price as normal ones so thought why not? It turns out that they are;
    a) effing heavy
    b) impossible to repair, as you say the slime appears to be able to melt patches and glue.

I think one of the problems with fitting the tyre was that these tubes are so big. I got the ones for 28-38mm tyres and they are huge. The Vittorias look pretty small for a 28mm anyway and when I fixed it in the park I only had a 19-25mm tube anyway which worked just fine. Lesson learned.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Butterd2
    mrushton wrote:
    Get a set of VAR levers and also practice at home changing the tyre. Obvious yes, but not everyone does. The VAR is the best lever out there imo

I spent 3 hours "practising at home" on Sunday and have the blisters to prove it! (no jokes please)
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I'm not familiar with Pedros levers, they sound good, but in addition Soma make some steel-cored levers that are quite unbreakable. I take them with me touring so that I KNOW I will have functioning tyre levers no matter what. CRC stock them, by the way. About 5 quid for two. Expense by comparison, sure, but stop and think: if you're sitting roadside with broken levers you'd happily pay the five quid to be elsewhere
  • +1 on Slime inners being useless. Had more flats from failed patches than the slimes prevented. Binned them. I've had less flats with standard inners.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    You shouldn't really need levers to fit a tyre

I always carry steel levers, I can't see them breaking in a hurry.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Butterd2

I have and I did - thanks.

I have always managed with Marathons' but through the application of brute force.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Just bought some Randonneurs, so thanks very much for that video - there is a secret to it after all!