Richmond Park deer cull

2»

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    georgee wrote:
    Nice to see at least one person answered the question!?

As for why it takes them two months, those deer are so tame i'm pretty sure I cuold do the same job in two hours armed only with a hammer.

I think the idea of a cull is to mimic nature and take out the weaker specimens, I suppose that takes time to observe herds and work out which are diseased and weak, it's not an excuse for Texas Chainsaw Massacre (with a hammer)! If it was a question of getting it done as soon as possible they could close the park, borrow a machine gun and just spray entire herds with bullets until they got the number required!

again, talking about scotland here.....the problem is access to where the deer live...remote hillsides and large geographic areas...that are difficult to access...and even harder to pull the carcasses out.

i believe there is a helicopter and rifle option available for very difficult ground....deer also dont generally hang about in their hundreds and as you say, there are rules about which ones can be taken, and even what constitutes a good kill (you want the deer to be side on...aim for the heart....headshots are for amatuers)...

remember, the cull has to be as humane as possible (given that they are being shot), and suffering kept to a minimum.

mothers with young are a no-no.....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I thought the agreed kill pattern was double tap, move, double tap

air strike just to be sure.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    itboffin wrote:

pros only need one shot...

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    itboffin wrote:

Thats SCR for anyone with a SRAM groupset.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:

Preditor Missle first, then call in a Pavelow and as a last resort a Tactical Nuke.

or

RC-XD, then Rolling Thunder, then the Attack Dogs
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    JZed wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Preditor Missle first, then call in a Pavelow and as a last resort a Tactical Nuke.

or

RC-XD, then Rolling Thunder, then the Attack Dogs

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • georgee wrote:

As for why it takes them two months, those deer are so tame i'm pretty sure I cuold do the same job in two hours armed only with a hammer.

Presumably the rest of the deer don't hang around after the first shot, or hammer blow, going "Oi, Joe, did you hear that big bang? Jim's down on the ground bleeding, shall we mosey over and have look-see?"
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • georgee wrote:

Presumably the rest of the deer don't hang around after the first shot, or hammer blow, going "Oi, Joe, did you hear that big bang? Jim's down on the ground bleeding, shall we mosey over and have look-see?"

Maybe they hold a ceremony for their deerly departed.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    georgee wrote:

Deer god, more puns
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    georgee wrote:

Deer god, more puns

Yes unfortunately so, quite a bad ideer to be making them really
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    I think the question's already been asked, but this cull: for my diary could you tell me venison?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Maxticate wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    georgee wrote:

Deer god, more puns

Yes unfortunately so, quite a bad ideer to be making them really

d'oe
  • I have created a monster....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I have created a monster....

I am glad no one has fallowed you up on that.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • I have created a monster....

No point in crying over spilt m-elk :)
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Stag-ering, just stag-ering.... Richmond Park cyclist: 1120.jpg
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • So... back to the original question... is there a deer cull on at the moment? I need to cycle through RP tonight, ideally.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    So... back to the original question... is there a deer cull on at the moment? I need to cycle through RP tonight, ideally.

Not sure - you'll be alright before 8pm - after that pedal fast and in a zigzag pattern.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    So... back to the original question... is there a deer cull on at the moment? I need to cycle through RP tonight, ideally.

Don't wear any of those festive reindeer antlers, just in case.
    Misguided Idealist
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I think it's over. Not noticed the warning signs this week anyway.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Last year I met a chap who did the Bushy Park deer cull. As it added about 4 miles to my journey I asked him why he couldn't just go crazy ape bonkers whith an Uzi and finish up in a night! Moral killings, clean head shot was the answer. I don't see how ending a proud stags life early can be seen as moral!!! They used to sell the meat to posh London hotels but now it's shipped to posh middle eastern hotels. Still pisses me off that they take 2-3 weeks over it...I mean, they shut the parks for 12 hours, how much culling needs to be done?
    Dance like nobody is watching, ride like you're 10 minutes late!
  • Loved reading this thread, I am assuming its all over now though, heading there in the morning to hoof round a few laps
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep, all over now.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Went round this morning at 6am which was fairly eerey in the mist/fog. Was waiting for the crack of a rifle or the stampede of Deer tearing down the road.