Sticky mud :(

phal44
phal44 Posts: 240
edited December 2010 in MTB general
My first proper ride in mud (last time it was frozen solid :P) since I got my Bont Mud-X and theyre definitely an improvement on what I had before but I still had problems.

The mud was sooooo sticky that the mud build up enough that it start to stop my front wheel from moving :/ lol. I thought the mud was just too crap to pedal through so I got off to push through this last bit of mud and I found I was struggling to even push it lol. I then picked up the bike to bounce it around a few times in the hope of knocking some mud loose and it was then I realised just how heavy it was with all that mud :S

Need special tyres that are teflon coated or something lol :P or some other NASA designed material that doesn't get stuck on by mud!

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    A big dose of MTFU also helps :lol:

I did a ride out at Surrey Hills today, the ground was a mixture of snow, ice and mud. It was great fun, you could basically steer in any direction and keep going forwards :D
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • pshore
    pshore Posts: 61
    1.8 wide tyres help a lot in this type of mud - its the extra clearance that helps most plus there is less surface for the mud to stick to.

My most depressing cycling stat: Totally flat but muddy ride, HR at 160bpm to do 6kph.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    pshore wrote:
    1.8 wide tyres help a lot in this type of mud - its the extra clearance that helps most plus there is less surface for the mud to stick to.

My most depressing cycling stat: Totally flat but muddy ride, HR at 160bpm to do 6kph.

A while ago we did 6 miles in 3 hours, probably our groups most pathetic effort ever. I crashed 8 times too :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    You have too keep the tyres wet in really sticky mud, ride through all the water you can find.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • pshore
    thel33ter wrote:
    pshore wrote:

A while ago we did 6 miles in 3 hours, probably our groups most pathetic effort ever. I crashed 8 times too :lol:

hehe. Makes you want to take up walking.
  • Had similar experience, but with a mud soaked road. Took me 4 hours to make it 12 kilometres, with a 50kmh headwind plus muddy road.

Absolutely hated that day.
  • pshore
    robertpb wrote:
    You have too keep the tyres wet in really sticky mud, ride through all the water you can find.

Top tip. The muddy rides around here are definitely worse around here a few days after the last rain when there are less puddles.

What normally happens on my rides is that you find no water and then its mud, gravel, mud, gravel, sand. One day there will be some cement too and a nun slapping me with a wet kipper.
  • that's like riding in good old Devon clay..
  • phal44
    phal44 Posts: 240
    Yeah this was on the Downs near Brighton. I had mud/flint cement on my tyres although at one point I rode over a broken branch and that got stuck in the mud and stuck to my tyre lol :| ended up riding with this branch rubbing and sounding like having playing cards in my spokes :E

I got the 2" Mud-X cos Im a fatty at 17st and don't like the idea of riding on 1.8 tyres lol