taking a bike to Oz

jhl
jhl Posts: 9
edited December 2010 in MTB general
I'm moving to Australia in January. Most of my stuff's getting shipped so it'll take 3 months. I don't want to wait that long for my bike so have looked into taking it on the plane. However, the airlines appear to just treat it as regular baggage these days and charge it as excess baggage if it's over their usual limits.

I'm likely to be flying with Cathay Pacific who charge $60US per kg (If my bike's 28lb and a padded bag is 6kg, that'll cost over £700!!!). Has anyone got any suggestions on better airlines or is there any other practical/cheap way to get it from the UK to Oz?

Comments

• Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • You could try DHL

10-20 kilos will cost £184. Delivery within 6 days. Although the maximum dimensions they accept are 120 x 80 x 80 cm. So you will need to check your bike bag.

http://www.dhl.co.uk/en/express/shippin ... 4QodQFL5kw
  • They want 700 to bring it on the plan? Jesus.

You should be able to just say it is a normal suitcase and put it under the plane as long as space provided for an extra bag is paid for. I'd be highly surprised if they actually want 700 for the bike. Even Ryanair doesn't charge that much.
  • If you're moving there..then it would probably be worth shipping it(via sea) instead. it'll take a bit longer but be cheaper

..and unless yu're really unlucky the ship probably won't spill its load all over the southwest and local looters won't steal your treasured 2 wheel pleasure machine..
  • jhl
    jhl Posts: 9
    Thanks for the replies guys. It's a bit of a balancing act for me really. As I'm moving permanently with my 5 month old as well. My baggage limits will be accounted for with clothes, baby stuff and household stuff so the bike will be on top of that. Some airlines are cheaper for the bike but more for the ticket or take a less direct route.

I think I'll send it by air as Shotsaway suggested. Cheers all.
  • Don't forget to utterly blitz it for dirt.

They're tetchy about foreign soil/plant matter/insects crossing their boarders and a mountain bike will probably put them on edge immediately.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Yeah I'd ship it DHL or the like, flying with a bike is enough of a pain in the 'arris (massive heavy bike bag on your shoulder, queuing over and above the normal check-in for oversized luggage both ends etc etc. without trying to do with a 5 month old.