2011 Specialized Sirrus Pro or Trek 7.9 FX discounts?

3 RAV
3 RAV Posts: 15
edited December 2010 in Commuting general
All reputable online dealers only quote the MRRP, but I was wondering if there are discounts to be had in-store? If so, what sort of figure are we talking about?

I plan to test-ride both next weekend and ask if they are willing to move on the price, has anyone had any luck with the new models? I will be exporting the bike outside the EU so expect to be able to reclaim the VAT as well.

I haven't ridden a bike for many years but really do want to get back into the swing of things. I will be using it for the not-so-far commute to work and weekend leisure/fitness rides.

Comments

• I managed to get £80 knocked off a 7.5FX when I purchased it in store. I went in looking for the model below but the shop didn't have one in my size I could test. I spied that that had 3 7.5's on the shop floor in my size so said I would try one of those 'for sizing'....

Realised I liked the bike so said can you knock money off a higher model that you have in stock. After a bit of banter got £80 off.

The shop got a sale of higher value than what I went in for and I got some money off the bike so from that simplistic point of view everyone was a winner.

I guess you just need to go into the shop and get a feel for the deal!
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • 3 RAV
    I managed to get £80 knocked off a 7.5FX when I purchased it in store.

I make that around 15%, I'd be extremely happy with even 10%.

Like you said I really need to get a "feel for the deal" in-store. I'll report back here after the weekend.
  • I thought that anyone doing cycle to work would almost certainly knock off 10% for you if paying cash as that's what cycle to work charge (when looking some of the keener priced shops told me to add 10% to the price if buying through c2w as that's what they were charged).

In cambridge there is also a travel for work scheme http://www.tfw.org.uk/services.php#Discounts which offers discounts in main dealer shops just for mentioning it.
  • 3 RAV
    My employer and I are based in Switzerland, so I will not be able to take advantage of UK cycle to work schemes.

I guess I should just be happy with getting the VAT back and not get too greedy. :wink:
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Have you decided what you are getting?
  • 3 RAV
    Valy wrote:
    Have you decided what you are getting?

I'm leaning towards the Trek at the moment.

I went to a few local(ish) shops in West London yesterday, but none had either bike available . . . not even the new Specialized Concept Store in Kingston.

I tried a 7.5 FX and Sirrus Expert for size, so at least I know I need a 22.5"/58cm frame.

I really need to test ride both bikes before I make my decision, so the next step will be contacting dealers to arrange this for when I'm next back in London.

EDIT: perhaps I will be able to get my 10% discount after all http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Resources/CTC_Shop_Discount_List.pdf.