Route advice, Lanark to Glasgow

philkeeble
philkeeble Posts: 109
edited December 2010 in Tour & expedition
A friend and I are doing LEJOG next year and one of the desired legs takes us from Gretna to Glasgow. Gretna to Lanark looks good on Memory-Map as we can follow the B7076/7078, but the green dots run out just before Lanark. I know that this is a proposed NCN74, but can't see how Lanark links up easily with Glasgow

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Is the Clyde Walkway rideable (panniered road bikes) between Motherwell and Glasgow?
Cheers,
Phil, in Inverurie

Comments

• I don't know the area that well, but I guess the obvious route is the A72 pass Hamilton and into Bothwell. From there you can join the river pathway near Uddingston and into the city. I did the river route from Glasgow Green to Uddingston on a hybrid two years ago and it was fine. A tourer bike should be OK.
    I guess you can still cycle the proposed N74 as they are all established roads looking at Google maps. From what I've read, it is still proposed because of S. Lanarkshire council dragging its heels over signposting, etc.
    Having said all that, it depends why you are heading into the city and where your intend to go afterwards? If you aren't staying in the city and you want to head up Loch Lomond side, Lanark to Strathaven, Newton Mearns then the Erskine Bridge will be much nicer. Alternatively, if your plan is to head up towards Denny and Stirling before Crainlarich, I'd take a road up to Shotts and then Bonnybridge.