ID Bracelets

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone got a link to that US site that does emergency ID and contact bracelets for athletes?

I set of to run 10km this morning and got a bit carried away, coming home 2hrs and 23km later. Mrs A was not happy, especially since I had no ID on me.

Couple of years ago a friend of a friend went out of a run and keeled over dead from a heart attack halfway round. With no ID his wife didn't find out for 6 hours.

Sorry, bit morbid for a Sunday isn't it?
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I've got a roadid dog tag... wear it all the time.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    edited December 2010
    +1 for Road ID

I have a wrist ID sport, the other half as a wrist ID elite and a triathlete friend has an ankle ID.

Use the code pcSAVE10 to get 10% of until 7th December.

I don't know if you can cumulate discounts, the the following code ThanksAndrew868947 will get you $1 off.
  • asprilla
    Dalton wrote:

Thats the one, cheers.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    hmm might get one of them. I usually always carry my driving license with me and a bank card and never without my mobile but of course all these could fly out of jersey pockets if i fell
  • I use the http://www.digitaldogtag.co.uk/ ICE dogtags when mountain walking, you can get an awful lot of information on those things!
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    I use the http://www.digitaldogtag.co.uk/ ICE dogtags when mountain walking, you can get an awful lot of information on those things!
    Probably the most annoying web page ever, every link you click comes out with "utag, the bespoke usb device...". Ok, I heard it the first 5 times, no need to keep playing it.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    pst88 wrote:
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    I use the http://www.digitaldogtag.co.uk/ ICE dogtags when mountain walking, you can get an awful lot of information on those things!
    Probably the most annoying web page ever, every link you click comes out with "utag, the bespoke usb device...". Ok, I heard it the first 5 times, no need to keep playing it.

indeed, they lost any potential sale they might have made from me right away because of that as I couldn't immediately see how to turn it off I just closed the page.

shocking design, whatever web developer put that together should be ashamed to have let that go live even if the client insisted on having it.
    Hat + Beard
  • I also don't know if paramedics tend to carry USB devices with them at all times to read a USB tag... :?

If someone's trying to save your life, I'd wager finding a nearby laptop is low among their priorities.
  • asprilla
    I also don't know if paramedics tend to carry USB devices with them at all times to read a USB tag... :?

If someone's trying to save your life, I'd wager finding a nearby laptop is low among their priorities.

That was my thought. I'm just going to get the etched one.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I have an ICE tag from helmetgear.ca on my bike lid. Not really a suitable solution for runners, unless it's really icy. ;)

BeSeenOnABike sell VitalID Sport ID bands in the UK, £13.99

http://www.beseenonabike.co.uk/acatalog ... 5103x.html
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    My Spesh helmet came with a sticker on the inside where you could record your name, address, contact telephone number and blood group. I'm sure the bracelets are great, but wouldn't a small piece of card be adequate? you could even get it laminated if you are feeling flash.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • asprilla
    rjsterry wrote:
    My Spesh helmet came with a sticker on the inside where you could record your name, address, contact telephone number and blood group. I'm sure the bracelets are great, but wouldn't a small piece of card be adequate? you could even get it laminated if you are feeling flash.

Probably, but I don't always have a pocket (trisuit doesn't have any) and I think I'd be much more likely to find and put on a bracelet than find a little card (would have to be laminated for sweat).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I've just got a silver dogtag with my details and my wife's phone number on it. Not sure how much added value you get from the ones you have to subscribe to, the important stuff can be kept pretty brief to be honest.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Asprilla wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Probably, but I don't always have a pocket (trisuit doesn't have any) and I think I'd be much more likely to find and put on a bracelet than find a little card (would have to be laminated for sweat).

True, pockets, or lack thereof, are a problem, and I can see the possibility of leaving it behind is increased. I pretty much always have either my wallet with me when commuting, or an emergency credit card if I'm out for a weekend ride, so they'd work out my name with a bit of rummaging, but wouldn't give them a phone number. The label in my helmet isn't that obvious either. I think the engraved dog tag is probably the most reliable.

What does NGale think? Paging NGale...
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    rjsterry wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

True, pockets, or lack thereof, are a problem, and I can see the possibility of leaving it behind is increased. I pretty much always have either my wallet with me when commuting, or an emergency credit card if I'm out for a weekend ride, so they'd work out my name with a bit of rummaging, but wouldn't give them a phone number. The label in my helmet isn't that obvious either. I think the engraved dog tag is probably the most reliable.

What does NGale think? Paging NGale...
    As far as I'm aware I'm not allergic to any medication. As above I'd normally have either a wallet; credit card and phone with me. I've entered in an ICE number into the contacts list on the phone.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • I've considered having my name, DOB and blood type tattoo'd on my person somewhere. I hate the idea of being an unidentified corpse.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I've considered having my name, DOB and blood type tattoo'd on my person somewhere. I hate the idea of being an unidentified corpse.
    Ooh, now I understand the idea but it just brought up unwanted images of victims of the holocaust... :(
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i wear my road ID all the time but then it doubles up as a medic alert bracelet for me as im highly allergic to penicillin. and when drunk it has my postcode to get me home
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    This seems like a pretty good idea. There's a place near me that does Army dog-tags for about a tenner; think I might go for some of them.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    I know a few folks who've used Tim's Tags, for various items. I may get a set, as they'll put whatever you want on the tags/discs
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    These people below will sent you a military style dog tags for about a fiver. Style wise not everyone's cup of tea mind.

http://www.dog-tags.co.uk/
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I have in the event of an accident please contact Castelli
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    If you have a business card just punch a hole in one, loop an elastic band through it twice so it forms a bracelet and pull that over your wrist. Write your home number on the card etc.

Saves you a few quid and will do the job fine.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    rodgers73 wrote:
    If you have a business card just punch a hole in one, loop an elastic band through it twice so it forms a bracelet and pull that over your wrist. Write your home number on the card etc.

Saves you a few quid and will do the job fine.

Whilst you're at it one of the regulars on here has some interesting home made overshoes :roll:

You're not my father-in-law are you by any chance ?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.