Which Turbo Trainer?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
itboffin wrote:
<A lot of bluster>

Let battle commence.

Now why throw down a challenge like that eh!?

Hmmm, first step for me would be to acquire a turbo trainer.

I've spoken to Santa and promised I'd be a good boy next year. So I need some buying advice

I'm aiming for about the £100 mark so options from our good friends at WIggle are

Cycle Ops Classic Mag £127 (this weekend)
Cycle Ops Classic Wind £127(this weekend)
Elite Crono Mag £111
Elite Volare Mag £101

Any thoughts or alternatives?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/turbo-trainers-accessories/
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    nah.

this is a commuting forum. no turbos required to get to work.

get yourself to the training forum on "road" or something..... :wink:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    See if you can get one second hand on the Wanted section - I bought JG's Cyclops Wind. Does the job perfectly.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    cjcp wrote:
    See if you can get one second hand on the Wanted section - I bought JG's Cyclops Wind. Does the job perfectly.

What's the noise level like?

Could I use it with the kids asleep upstairs?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    PBo wrote:
    nah.

You're just bitter because you can't build a snowman for your son.

To adress your point though, commuting to work by bike is a occasional treat for me. It's too far away to do regularly and won't be happening in this weather. I do however stay in this forum (mainly) as it offers the best all round cycling related advice and discussion with a good supply of random banter too.

I just like cycling.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:

The one I sold to CJ was a fluid 2.

The wind will likely be very loud. I'd go for the mag at that price point. Also some turbos can shred rear tyres so a dedicated trainer tyre may be a good idea. They also cut down the noise levels
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    PBo wrote:
    nah.

To adress your point though, commuting to work by bike is a occasional treat for me. It's too far away to do regularly and won't be happening in this weather. I do however stay in this forum (mainly) as it offers the best all round cycling related advice and discussion with a good supply of random banter too.

I just like cycling.
    Turbo is the perfect warmup for SCR, no?

In other news: JG is quite competitive :twisted:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • PBo
    PBo wrote:
    nah.

too right!

To adress your point though.......
    no need to, was just joshing, and I too know that you can get advice on most things here
  • PBo
    PBo wrote:
    nah.

Just been re-thinking this.

could you rig up bike and a fan-based Turbo on a sledge, and use the breeze from the fan to propel the sledge over the ice, bit like those things that they use on everglade swamps...

Actually, no - wont the breeze be perpendicular to direction of travel? So a sail needs to be rigged up for the breeze to blow across....

sorted!

I'll use my bike/turbo/sail/sledge device to slide around Sheffield knocking everyone elses snowmen down.....
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

The one I sold to CJ was a fluid 2.

The wind will likely be very loud. I'd go for the mag at that price point. Also some turbos can shred rear tyres so a dedicated trainer tyre may be a good idea. They also cut down the noise levels

Was it?! Looks like the wind. Shows how much I know. TWH, ignore everything I say. :oops:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I'n taking delivery of the Elite Crono Mag from Wiggle this week (hopefully - full story to come later). Will let you know how that goes.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    edited December 2010
    If you happen to have a large piece of cardboard available I'd suggest you stick it on the floor under your turbo set up, not that I give a damn about the noise but it has reduced the overall racket, so I can lower the music volume which gets a thumbs up from little itboffin whilst she's watching the usually rubbish children's TV
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    I had a Mag about a couple of years ago. I don't remember thinking the noise level was particularly bad; I used to use it while Mrs CJ was watching the TV.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."