Best Climbs in the Rhone-Alps

daverow
daverow Posts: 64
After a few years of going to the Pyrenees and riding the iconic climbs in that region (Tourmalet, Ardiden, Aspin, Hautacam, Soulor, Aubisque, Spandelles etc..etc..) I'm going to be staying in Bourg d'Oisans this summer for about 10 days after I have a crack at La Marmotte.

A few climbs *fairly* close by that I reckon might be worth having a crack at are (in no particular order);

Col d'Izoard
Col de la Bonnette
Col de Granon

The Marmotte itself covers some of the great climbs from Tour history but what others, in your opinion, must be included in any cyclists holiday to this region and have you ridden a route that includes some fantastic scenery along the way? It's myfirst time in the Alps and I want to make sure it's a good one :D

All input greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    This is a good guide to some rides starting from Bourg D'oisans

http://www.bikes-oisans.com/oisans-trail-cyclo-21.html

I was only there for a few days, but #21 to the Col de la croix de fer was great.

#11 was also good for finding my climbing legs.

I'm assuming you'll do l'Alpe D'huez when you're there?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • It's at least a 3 hour drive from Bourg to the foot of the Bonnette.
    I'd split the trip - once you've done the Marmotte you've ticked all the classics in the Bourg area so go and base yourself in Barcelonette for a few days to climb The Bonnette/Restefond, The Col de Vars, The Allos, The Cayole - it's beautiful round there and the roads are much quieter - my favourite cycling place in The Alps.
    Spend one night in Guillestre or Brianconon the way down there for the Izoard.
    Then head over to Provence for The Ventoux - it's about 2.5 hours drive from Barcelonette.
    10 days is plenty of time to do all that - I love Bourg d'Oisans but I wouldn't want to be in Bourg for that long to be honest.
  • Izoard, the south face is the hardest.

Cormet the Roselend is very pretty.

La cime de Bonnette is a very very very long climb, but not particularly challenging on gradients. The actual col (Restefond) is lower in altitude than the Iseran... I would do the latter

I also like the Petit St. Bernard, the italian side more than the french, but the french is pretty too. You can always start from Bourg, go to Italy, climb the col San Carlo from Morgex (it's a monster at 10% average), descend into La Thuile and back up the Petit Italian side and down into Bourg...
    It's a monster day on the saddle, but if you are looking for a challenge...
    left the forum March 2023