DMR Vault

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited December 2010 in MTB general
I guessed the prices would be around the same as the V12 ie quite expensive, but £90??? 410g a pair.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    LÖL 90 noooo

here was me thinking that they had finally picked a nice pedal. they have picked the wrong price though.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    They are obviously hoping the DMR fans will pay the price, but they have well and truly been beaten to the punch in the slim 'n' light category by many others, who sell for a lot less. Made by the same 2 or 3 people ;-)
  • nicklouse
    what about the new Gusset Nitro.

355g and £60

http://www.gussetbikes.com/gusset/produ ... d=PDGUNT9K

hell the old Slim Jim Mag was just over the Vaults weight at 435g and at 50.....

what was the Wellgo MG1?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Gusset looks like the HT Components Nano with a price hike and a crooked claimed weight to me.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    you mean a too high weight?

http://www.readytoridecycles.co.uk/ht-c ... -277-p.asp

may be a typo as the HT site gives 335, and 280 with a Ti axle. ( the Air range).
  • Northwind
    Gusset are claiming 355g from the alu pedal with steel axles, your link is the mag.

I like Gusset stuff, they seem to choose smartly from the catalogue companies, but I'm calling shenanigans on this one.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    yep you could be right there. I was expecting it to be mag as there new top pedal, not arrived in the UK yet.
  • supersonic
    mg1 is 375g, and 45 rrp. 22mm thick
  • Northwind
    nicklouse wrote:
    yep you could be right there. I was expecting it to be mag as there new top pedal, not arrived in the UK yet.

Having said that maybe it's the material that's the misprint, the price is right for it to be the mag.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • we sell alot of DMR v-8 pedals, its hard to beat at the price point and its a tough pedal that works well, but in modern terms for the performance rider (which its not really aimed at..) its too thick and too small in terms of platform size

the Vault looked great until I saw the RRP at £90???

customers have already told me its too expensive, they can get Superstar pedals for £40

the Wellgo MG-1 pedals I have on both my bikes weighed in average 365gm on digital scales and cost me £40 and have a platform that is thin enough and wide enough for my needs...

DMR needs to sell the Vault around £60 to get market share, otherwise riders will just get Superstar or Wellgo's offerings...
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • supersonic
    I think V8 is easy to beat at the price point - a load of lighter and better sealed options from Wellgo (and re brands such as gusset etc)
  • Northwind
    I think DMR realise they could sell people a jobby in a box if it said DMR on the side tbh.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Matt_
    Matt_ Posts: 82
    supersonic wrote:
    I think V8 is easy to beat at the price point - a load of lighter and better sealed options from Wellgo (and re brands such as gusset etc)

One of my mates bought some Wellgo's as was bragging how he little he had paid for the V12 type sealed bearings version. Then they seized up 2 rides later.

Whereas I've had my V8's non sealed bearings on for approx. 11 months and not had a single problem with them.
    Current Bikes:
    2010 Trek Fuel EX8
    2009 Specialized Allez Sport
    2006 Scott Reflex 20

Lakes Mountain Bike Routes
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Matt_ wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

One of my mates bought some Wellgo's as was bragging how he little he had paid for the V12 type sealed bearings version. Then they seized up 2 rides later.

Whereas I've had my V8's non sealed bearings on for approx. 11 months and not had a single problem with them.

You realize DMR V* pedals are all made by Wellgo :wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    supersonic wrote:
    mg1 is 375g, and 45 rrp. 22mm thick

And regularly available on Ebay at about half that. Can't go wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Matt_
    peter413 wrote:
    Matt_ wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

You realize DMR V* pedals are all made by Wellgo :wink:

Yes. This is what he kept blabbing on about.

Why did his seize though and my "lesser" V8's are still going strong? Got to say I did feel a bit smug when they seized up on him after his cockiness :lol:
    Current Bikes:
    2010 Trek Fuel EX8
    2006 Scott Reflex 20

• I'm not putting anything up for either pedal, the wellgo or the V8's but it just popped into my head that saying "This was made by ..." doesn't really matter because the design might be totally different. The shimano chains being made by KMC are the same kinda thing. The KMC's are great but the shimano's are shocking.
  • supersonic
    But often, and in the case of the DMR and Wellgo copies, the axles and bearings are identical. At least for the original V series, the later ones I believe are different. But then again Wellgo use different ones in other pedals too.
  • Northwind
    Both my MG1s have outlasted those V8s you're so pleased about (my V8s went rattly very quickly but were still working OK)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Both my MG1s have outlasted those V8s you're so pleased about (my V8s went rattly very quickly but were still working OK)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    The MG1 and V12 do use the same bearings - a DU1 4F bush and 608RS bearing. Many newer pedals use this exact combo. May be some external seal differences.
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:

Replace MG1's with most other pedals and you have the general idea :lol:

My V8's also went very rattly almost immediately but they are still running ok on my brothers bike now but he hardly ever rides. The axels are very slightly bent as well (didn't take much to do it)

Wheras the V8 copies on my dads Caldera are still straight and have no movement after him riding a lot for the first half of this year (and he isn't the lightest of people either :wink: )

Why anyone buys the DMR's I still can't work out since they are twice the price of the copies and the copies are better in every way
  • Matt_
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then as like I say my particular ones are still like new (apart from me scuffing the paint off on rocks). Perhaps I have a unique well built set!
    Current Bikes:
    2010 Trek Fuel EX8
    2006 Scott Reflex 20

• oh well, it was only a thought, I'll have to wait till after christmas for another one :D
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    but it looks so beautiful
    p4pb5576055.jpg
  • supersonic
    Why anyone buys the DMR's I still can't work out since they are twice the price of the copies and the copies are better in every way

The cup and cone bearings are designed to be serviced and adjusted - if they come loose, service and adjust them. The V8 bearings are the same as the copies bearings, loose ball, with the DMR having an extra seal.

Oh, they do look nice - but not 50 quid nicer than the lighter MG1 ;-)

I am hoping Wellgo release the B137b in the uk:

B137B.jpg

238g for the pair. Would be great on my Zaskar LE.
  • ive gotta sya, ive had my v8s on for a year now, and theyve been regreased a couple of times, just cause i like doing stuff like that, but they are still running fine. however i wont buy them again, ill either get MG-1s or the superstar nanos, just because they are lighter and have a larger platform :)

cant fault my v8's reliability yet thou.
  • peter413
    supersonic wrote:
    I am hoping Wellgo release the B137b in the uk:

B137B.jpg

That looks similar to the Superstar Ignite

Ignite.jpg

Wonder where they got the inspiration from :lol:
  • Whilst were on the topic, ive seen some pedals called Fatty's Flatties at my local trail shop, they look to have quite a good platform and they are quite light. I think they were only around £40 or so. Any one have any experience

For the record £90 is crazy for the new DMR's! :roll:

Andy
  • supersonic
    These ones?:

5348-19528-full-pukka-99.jpg
    http://airevalleycycles.com/products.ph ... b0s87p5348

Look to be very similar to many others, almost undoubtedly a Wellgo/HT product.[/img]