Tifosi ck7 or Racelight T2 - any difference really?

rjsmith
rjsmith Posts: 1,924
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
Tifosi ck7 or Racelight T2 - in the market for a commuitng frame with full mudguard fixings. Apart from looks, would you reckon there much difference performance wise between the two?
Or should I put more towards it and go for a tk2 or even a load more for an Enigma Ethos?

It's a commute of 17 miles each way.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Both 7005 alu, but the Racelight might be lighter if it's double-butted.

The Racelight seems to have a shorter headtube, which might be why it's described as a bit more racier. Nice looking bike, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsmith
    Think quoted weight are about 1700 grams for the racelight and 1600 for the Tifosi, so not a great in it that way.
    Do most people have the same position on a commuter as their road racer in terms of stack height?
  • cjcp
    rjsmith wrote:
    Think quoted weight are about 1700 grams for the racelight and 1600 for the Tifosi, so not a great in it that way.
    Do most people have the same position on a commuter as their road racer in terms of stack height?

s the stated weight for the same size frame? Some quote the weight for mediums, some don't.

My positions are slightly different on my commuter, crosser and "nice" bike. This isn't ideal.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    rjsmith wrote:

s the stated weight for the same size frame? Some quote the weight for mediums, some don't.

My positions are slightly different on my commuter, crosser and "nice" bike. This isn't ideal.

AFAIK they weigh almost the same. Both are slightly below 1600 for a size small
    http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/geometry/T2.jpg
    http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/tifosi/

I bought the Racelight Tk instead of a Tifosi when I researched the market for several reasons. Kinesis bikes (uk) have a real homepage with actual useful information. Eg. I couldn't find a proper Tifosi geometry chart, nor was it completely clear whether it needed 49 mm brakes or 57 mm brakes. Rather crucial information for me since I wanted to use 28 mm tyres and full mud guards. Something I think isn't possible on the Tifosi CK. Even head set type wasn't obvious.

So I bought a Racelight Tk. It is the best frame/bike I ever have owned. Stiff bottom bracket, but really comfortable to ride for hours on end. I really like using 28 mm tyres too like Conti GP4S or Gatorskins. For me 28 mm tyres is a good compromise between comfort and speed.

--
    Regards
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    I have the CK7 with the Campag Veloce set up. I use it mainly for audax rides of 150km plus and I love it. But as Interestedcp said, the CK7 has 23mm tyres and it would be very difficult to fit anything wider than 25mm on it unless you took off the existing mudguards.

One thing to note is that the Tifosi is sourced straight from the suppliers and are built by them before sending to the shop. When I bought mine, the 'advertised' stem and brake levers weren't available so they built the bike with upgraded components (for the same price) so I have a nice pair of Compaq Centaur levers :D
    Steve C
  • cjcp
    Fwiw, I saw the T2 on this morning's commute and got chatting to the owner. He said it was stiff and quick. The frame's very easy on the eye, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsmith
    Thanks for the help guys. Very useful.

In the end I went for a tk2. Got a good deal. Just waiting for it to arrive now.
  • nigglenoo
    nigglenoo Posts: 177
    sc999cs wrote:
    I have the CK7 with the Campag Veloce set up. I use it mainly for audax rides of 150km plus and I love it. But as Interestedcp said, the CK7 has 23mm tyres and it would be very difficult to fit anything wider than 25mm on it unless you took off the existing mudguards.

One thing to note is that the Tifosi is sourced straight from the suppliers and are built by them before sending to the shop. When I bought mine, the 'advertised' stem and brake levers weren't available so they built the bike with upgraded components (for the same price) so I have a nice pair of Compaq Centaur levers :D
    Hi Steve, what reach/model of brake caliper do the CK7s come with? If you can do 150km audaxes on it with 23mm tyres then maybe 25mm maximum tyres would be adequate for me as well.

I am looking at the choice between these two frames as well for 100k+ rides. I am on a fairly tight budget so the Tifosi would win on price and I also like the retro grey CK7 Classic the most to look at, not keen on the Kinesis paint jobs, but will stretch to the T2 if there is good reason to. (The Ribble Winter is out due to the variable reports on quality, customer service and because of the horizontal top tube which would not suit my little legs too well :oops: )
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    rjsmith wrote:
    Thanks for the help guys. Very useful.

In the end I went for a tk2. Got a good deal. Just waiting for it to arrive now.

I use a TK2 on my other bike. Really loverly, fast and stiff frame.

I put on some 28s, guards, used the Kinesis carbon forks and an FSA carbon seatpost and that seems to smooth the ride right out compared to my Jake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAYjvghvgYY Heres my bike. Used all kinds of bits by diff companies, so theres Easton stem and bars (440mm), Aksium wheels, Hope headset and BB..
  • coming in after the horse has bolted here, but why would you want a stiff / quick commuting bike. i'd rather err on the side of comfort. i know i treat them as training miles too but i would want my commute bike to be softer than my summer bike. i'm carrying a bag most of the time too. so i've got a steel road bike and a headshock bike too. after those, my roadie feels light as hell and my legs, strong like bull
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • nigglenoo
    nigglenoo Posts: 177
    coming in after the horse has bolted here, but why would you want a stiff / quick commuting bike. i'd rather err on the side of comfort. i know i treat them as training miles too but i would want my commute bike to be softer than my summer bike. i'm carrying a bag most of the time too. so i've got a steel road bike and a headshock bike too. after those, my roadie feels light as hell and my legs, strong like bull
    My commuter is a Carrera Subway with 8-speed internal hub gears, roller brakes, mudguards, 1.5" tyres and a rack for carrying rack bag and a pannier or two as required (cannot stand having a bag on my back). It weighs a ton and is pretty sluggish due to the hub gear drag so its a good work out on the short, 6 mile but fairly hilly ride to work.

When I get home I just sling it in the garage until the next day and all I ever do is pump the tyres up at the weekend, occasionally dollop some more oil on the chain and rarely adjust the chain tension. I have never washed it :) I rode it all through the snow and ice, with DIY studded MTB tyres, and it never lets me down.

Mind you on a dry sunny day I do sometimes jump on the road bike and whiz in on that instead, takes loads off the journey time and is a lot more enjoyable, but I do not want to commute with it all year round and expose it to wet, dirty and salty roads and then have to pay out loads of money and keep giving it attention just to preserve it and keep it running.

However I find that even just using the road bike for Sunday ride outs and audax rides it does not really fit the bill as its a little harsh with 23mm. tyres and the Crud Roadracer guards are not quite up to the job either, but no clearance for proper guards or fatter tyres on the Specialized Allez Sport Triple, so I would like to shift the components to something with more clearance, at least enough for 25mm tyres with mudguards, and slightly relaxed geometry.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    nigglenoo wrote:
    sc999cs wrote:

Hi Steve, what reach/model of brake caliper do the CK7s come with? If you can do 150km audaxes on it with 23mm tyres then maybe 25mm maximum tyres would be adequate for me as well.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I've been a bit busy with work. My Tifosi has Miche Performance brakes.
    Steve C