touring shifters easy to use?

cyberknight
cyberknight Posts: 1,238
edited December 2010 in Commuting general
I am now looking at getting a replacement road bike for winter and i have seen a bike with shifters on the end of the drops .

Are they easy to use?
FCN 3/5/9

Comments

• bar end shifters? easer than drop tube shifters, but still not that great, though simple.
  • BoydJ
    BoydJ Posts: 33
    I have these - http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dia-compe-ba ... prod21014/ - on my commuter. They are very easy to fit and use and, being friction shifters, allow me to swap between 8 and 9-speed rear wheels in the event of unexpected early-morning deflations. It does take just a little bit of time to get used to friction shifting again, but it's not a difficult transition. They are actually a better option than STIs on my moustache handlebars.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    They are easier to use than downtube shifters with a full touring load.

The reason many tourists prefer them to STI levers are:
    You can run an MTB front mech.
    You have friction over-ride in case of problems at the rear mech.
    Cable routing is more bar-bag friendly
    You can use long-pull brake levers for V brakes or disks.
    Less to go wrong if you are far from a bike shop.

For general commuting and riding, there is no real advantage and you are probably better off with STI.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    As the above post says, bar end shifters are very much a touring bike thing. I have them on my touring bikes, and have done for many many years. I like them, whether I'm touring or not. They are simple, accurate and offer all the aforementioned advantages. As far as their being easy to use - sure. Obviously you need to reach for them where you wouldn't have to with STI, but it's really no hassle.
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    Toms.jpg

This bike was the property of Chris Sidwells in 1995. Note the bar-end shifters.

I've got a photo somewhere of me on it in Chris' shop at Southwell. Now gone I guess 'cus there's nothing on the internet.

A 1966 Peugeot PY. 54cm 531.
  • I've got them on my Galaxy, took some getting used to but they're fine.
  • MichaelW wrote:
    You can use long-pull brake levers for V brakes or disks..

I might be right in thinking that STI levers come with two nipple holes these days for use with ordinary caliper brakes, or for use with V brakes.
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    I have bar-end shifters on my commuter and find them pretty good. I used STI for years and they were always great when clean and well tuned but my maintenance is a bit slack and I just found they were never quite working right. Friction shifters suit my lax ways better (and, as someone said, let you swap wheels around with no bother).

That's just me though, my commuter is a dirty workhorse so the low maintenance option suits me. On my weekend bikes I'd go with STI every time.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    I have bar end levers on my bikes, and have had for years. Much better than STI, because you can adjust them much easier (especially if, like me, you use them friction).

As soon as you have an 'off' and your lovely STI levers hit the ground (well, as soon as you get to the lbs to buy a replacement), you realise the true value.

It takes a short while to get the hang of it, but, once you know what you're doing, bar end changing is swift and accurate.

I'm about to change to bullhorns on my fixed, which has a SA S3X, so the lever will be right next to my hand, which will make it even easier.
    Riding on 531
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Now't wrong with bar end or down tube shifters, especially if indexed (SIS).....