£99

tallpol2000
tallpol2000 Posts: 4
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
£99 from Decathlon, plus one set slicks, mudguards and some left overs.

Nice little experiment to see how far this price point goes now days?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tallpol/5231505222/

Comments

• Nice one. Looks like a lot of fun for the money there :)
  • I popped into Decathlon a few weeks ago to see whether they had any Vitamins in larger than medium size frames. It looked as though the £99 bike had exactly the same frame as the Vitamin, just specced differently.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    That looks like brilliant value.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Value for money!
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    All Decathlon bikes have 5 year warranty on frame and 2 years on parts, so you can't go wrong really. I'd go for the singlespeed Vitamin though - cheap deraillers aren't much fun.

Oh how I wish this bike came with hub gears... not for me, personally, but it'd basically be the perfect cheap town bike.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    You got all that (bike, rack, lights etc) slicks and other bits for £99?!

I thought that was a Vitamin but did a double take when I saw the gears.
    It looks like a very slightly different frame than the Vitamin (lugs for a water bottle cage and for the gear cables), different headset, QR rear wheel etc.

Dunno if the OP changed the saddle, but I think I should change the saddle on my Vit. After a 45 minute commute, it does unmentionable things to my unmentionables!

I should take and post a pic of my Vit, but until then I'll describe it and you can use your imagination:
    Basically the same bike but single speed. Cheapo mudguards, new pedals and toeclips, spoke reflectors and an Airzound. £116 the lot.
    The gearing on the Vit is really low (must work out its GI one day) so its a slow ride, but that also means I'm not tempted to put the hammer down and won't get to work all sweaty. I'll probably be late though!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!