Motorists of Berkshire I salute you

bumpitybump
bumpitybump Posts: 76
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Glorious ride in this morning........cars seemed to treat me like I was a fragile little human being pedaling a bike on ice and gave me massive amounts of space when over-taking. One even hung back behind me for 100 metres whilst I pedalled round a set of S bends. Absolutely peachy. I think the snow yesterday convinced motorists en-masse that the conditions were hazardous and today I reaped the rewards.

Added bonus....my schwalbe snow studs seemed perfect for the conditions. Handled smooth compacted snow, clear spots of pure tarmac and bits of ice on roads.

Joy of Joys :D

P1010940Small.jpg
exercise.png
FCN = 8

Comments

• AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    They probably were concerned about gently sliding into you... or just admiring the size of your balls from their boxes :wink:
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • AidanR wrote:
    They probably were concerned about gently sliding into you... or just admiring the size of your balls from their boxes :wink:

LOL!
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • Anyone else get really considerate motorists out on the roads today?

Noticed a massive difference between the start of the week - Monday / Tuesday / Wednesday when it was icy but a significant number of motorists didn't slow down or drive any differently and today.
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Drivers of Berkshire I salute you... phoey, 1) a bus swerves in front of me this morning in order to get into a bus stop rather than wait 5 secs later for me to get past and then (2) 5 mins later a car cuts in front of me in order to get to the exit of a roundabout, again waiting 5 secs would have enabled this to be clear.

Now what was rhyming slang for Berkshire Hunt!
  • gbsahne wrote:
    Drivers of Berkshire I salute you... phoey, 1) a bus swerves in front of me this morning in order to get into a bus stop rather than wait 5 secs later for me to get past and then (2) 5 mins later a car cuts in front of me in order to get to the exit of a roundabout, again waiting 5 secs would have enabled this to be clear.

Now what was rhyming slang for Berkshire Hunt!

Hope you get some of the decent drivers round your way next time. Each day earlier in the week I had some truly worrying incidents so today was especially nice as I didn't get carved up or passed to close once. Hopefully you'll get a similar ride in one day next week -fingers crossed!
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I noticed it last year when I made a point of not using the very icy looking bus lanes. Someone on that fixed gear forum mentioned something similar this week as well.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I noticed something similar last year riding home in a blizzard...
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I was cycling a long, gradual downhill a couple of nights ago. The road was straight and clear. I was doing about 25 mph a bit away from the kerb to avoid snow/slush etc but not beyond generous left tyre line position. No oncoming traffic. A car passes me with plenty of clearance (an Aygo if you please) and a voice shouts out of the window 'Get of the f...ing road'. If only the next lights a mile away hadn't changed a few seconds too early I'd have caught him and asked him politely why I should have got off the f...ing road considering I seemed to have, by the standards of Wednesday, by far the quicker mode of transport!
    Faster than a tent.......