blind as a bat. (help with eye wear)

steve1312
steve1312 Posts: 79
edited December 2010 in MTB general
Im sure other people have the same problem. I have started biking again after several years of inactivity. Unfortunately time is catching up and the eye sight is failing.

I wear glassess quite fashionable but the lenses are small and do not keep the dirt/ wind out of the eyes on the quicker down hill sections resulting in eyes full of tears.

Can you buy say a pair of Oakleys etc and take them to an opticians to get prescription lenses put in?

Comments

• I nearly bought some prescription Oakleys a few years ago, but they were expensive. Think they were e-wires and were around £300. Boots used to do some sports prescription glasses, can't remember the brand name though.

Cheaper option might be wearing disposable contact lenses and getting some normal lense cycling glasses?
  • I had the same problem....

I got a pair or Rudy Project glasses with a RX insert , just take the insert to the opticians and have them put your prescription in

http://www.rudyprojectuk.com
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've bought my last 2 pairs from here:
    http://www.optilabs.com/site/prods.php?pfid=0,8,11,18
    I have a pair of Sprints and a pair of Cobras with transitions lenses,not cheap but can't fault them.
    I have a strong prescription so Oakleys weren't an option :roll:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Contact lenses are a good option, i use them primarily for sport such as mountain biking and skiing and you dont even notice them. Eyewear with prescription lenses aren't as good because you completely lose peripheral vision.

They're pretty cheap too, around 44p a day!
  • dont want to go back to contacts, used to have them in my vainer youth.

The optilabs looks to have a good range.

Thanks
  • bennett_346
    steve1312 wrote:
    dont want to go back to contacts, used to have them in my vainer youth.

The optilabs looks to have a good range.

Thanks
    Fair enough. Out of curiosity, what did you dislike about them?
  • dont want to go back to contacts, used to have them in my vainer youth.
    sounds like you've not used them in a while. Things have changed *massively* over the past 10 years or so...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye, even since I started using contacts they've got miles better. Best option for riding by about 10 bazillion miles ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    Agreed, they are pretty damn good and if youre really bothered, since youd only be using htem now and again you could get slightly more expensive comfort ones with a higher water percentage.
  • when I say my youth im only 38 stopped using contacts about 5 years ago.
    I used to have the monthly disposable ones. I work long days and my eyes would get tired and just got sick of taking them out. I realise technological advances have probably made them more comfortable but its just another expense atm

Is that 44p a day. can you buy them in smaller batches.

When Iused to have them I got them in Monthly batches, which is more than i would need now[/quote]
  • steve, there are quite a few online contact lenses shops were you can buy a month - a years woth of lenses, be it monthly's or disposables, i normally get 6 months worth of monthly's for £30 and they last me 18 months or so as i use glasses if its not sunny or i'm not out on the bike,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Northwind wrote:
    Aye, even since I started using contacts they've got miles better. Best option for riding by about 10 bazillion miles ;)
    Surely you still have to use glasses?I can't ride with out glasses full stop.My eyes run and there's nothing worse than eyes full of mud/grit/shite :roll:
    I can't get contacts for my eye condition so glasses are the only option.
  • contacts and normal glasses ftw!!!
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Oakley L frame goggles go over glasses, you can get them cheap enough and if if it is only for the more rugged sections then it shouldn't be a problem.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • I tried optilabs frames, but non fitted my face (I must be some weird sort of fat monkey face).
    Tried contacts but didn't really get on very well with them at all.
    Looked at Oakleys......but they could not do my prescription, bit of a shame..
    So I ended up with Addidas Evil Eyes. They really are pretty good and quite adjustable (you can angle the legs and bridge to get the right fit) and come with your prescription as an insert within the glasses.
    Not cheap, but after 18 months the dailey cost looks cheaper than contacts. Plus if your script changes you just change the inserts.

Saw a bloke at Laggan the other day, he wore a pair of safety specs over his standard specs. Seemed happy enough. Bloody cheap option too.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Surely you still have to use glasses?I can't ride with out glasses full stop.My eyes run and there's nothing worse than eyes full of mud/grit/shite :roll: .

Aye, I often do- not always but most of the time. But it means you're not stuck with expensive prescription riding glasses and limited choice.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Contacts definitely, and yes things have changed a lot. There's stuff now that's so much Oxygen and water content you'd struggle to know you're wearing them and can leave them in for days.

Then you can just wear any eye protection you like rather than risk smashing up expensive prescription stuff. Take a face plant and you're looking at £100+ replacement. Done it myself, never again, cheap stuff and contacts now.

And Forget Oakleys etc. Just as expensive as prescription stuff. Unless you don't care about smashing them up. Go with safety specs like Bolle. Ultra cheap, just a few quid, can look stylish and they do the job. Scratch them, just bin and get more.

Definitely use eye protection though, especially with contacts as grit and mud can irritate the eye when wearing contacts.

That said, if contacts really aren't for you, then Bolle do prescription safety specs also. Probably pay a bit more for them, but still cheaper than the designer guff and probably better protection should you do a face plant onto a rock or branch that could pierce your eye (don't google for accidents like this! They happen, and they're nasty!).
  • deadkenny wrote:
    probably better protection should you do a face plant onto a rock or branch that could pierce your eye (don't google for accidents like this! They happen, and they're nasty!).

Google/ You tube here i come
  • Rudy project rydons with photochromic clear lens.

Awesome. Don't fog very adjustable, lifetime lens waranty for scratches and breaks. I went for the direct prescription lenses rather than the clip ins which look better. If your prescription hasn't changed in a long time looks way better but exspensive if it does need changing. I was using Oakley and some spechialised glasses with contacts but this is way better. I just faxed a USA web site a copy of my prescription and 10 days later theyt arived. ( a sight for sport eyes)

I would definetly do it igain.
  • Hi,

I had a similar problem a few years back (not that much difference in our ages :)), but I now use contacts for skiing, mountain biking, swimming and running. Primarily because with my prescription plastic isn't really an option.

Even the Torics are way more comfortable now than they were a few years back :)

For occasional use, you can't beat contacts plus you get to use any eyewear you want. with out the extra cost of prescription lenses.

The other win is as your prescription changes it's not a massive cost.

Lenses for the win :)
  • Contact lenses would def be your best bet, a Silicone hydrogel will let the most Oxygen through. You can now get them in daily lenses if you only wanted to wear them occasionally.

If you want to stick to spex you can get lenses designed for wrap around frames with lens optics designed to reduce peripheral distortion, not cheap if you come off and scratch/crack them, I'd recommend the CL route