Carbon frame blemish/crack - should I be concerned?

dhope
dhope Posts: 6,699
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Noticed some cracked paint on the frame. Hoping it's just that but here are the pics. Should I be worried?

dsc0002yx.th.jpg

dsc0005z0.th.jpg

dsc0006ha.th.jpg
Rose Xeon CW Disc
CAAD12 Disc
Condor Tempo

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    How did the bike shop miss that?

Yes I'd be very worried take it for a second opinion ASAP
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    +1 for everything above.

Have written off a carbon frame before in not too dissimilar a manner. Get it checked out pronto.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Ah yes and DON'T ride it
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • looks terminal to me im afraid
    on no account ride that bike till you get it checked
    dont only ride a bike
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    With my composite engineering hat on, I'm afraid I'd have to agree that it looks serious.

Good news is that it is almost certainly repairable. I don't know whether there are any bike shops doing this sort of repair, but in my sailing days we used to repair broken carbon masts overnight and race with them next day. This would actually be easier than a mast, as you don't have to figure out how to line the two halves up while the resin cures, and you don't need to worry about making it too stiff.

Slightly off-topic, if anyone has a written-off carbon frame lying around (road or TT) I'm on the lookout for one as a project...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Definitely do not ride it until you get it checked out. CJCP of this parish knows a guy who might be able to help, and there was a carbon repair outfit at the Cycle Show (I'll find their details and stick 'em on here tonight).
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Post over in the road section. There is a guy there that repairs carbon and he has advised on cracked carbon posts in the past.

Defo not a blemish though.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Ta folks. Was fearing it might be more than cosmetic damage.

Will get a second opinion and maybe take it back to On Your Bike along with the crash report and servicing bill, likely ask for the servicing fee back given how pointless it may have turned out to be, and was done on their advice.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    One other thing you could do: put the bike on the turbo (assuming you have one) and get someone to observe the damaged area while you give it some beans.

If they don't see any movement it doesn't prove the frame is ok (though it might give you grounds for optimism) but if you do see movement (which I suspect you will) then you have your answer.

The fact it's not completely broken does make the fix much easier though :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.