edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Any opinions?

Compare

Comments

• hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    the scott looks 'nicer' to me.
    Hat + Beard
  • I prefer the 'dale. Doesn't it also have a better groupset? I must admit, I don't know my shimano that well... but it seems it may.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I hear the CAAD frames are great, so I'd probably go for that, although not due till 03/2011?

You've probably thought about it already, dontcha want discs? .
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I would go for the Cannondale, even though the Scott looks much nicer. As LiT says the Cannondale has a better groupset.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    The Cannondale if you really want a CX bike, based on the groupset.

Are you actually going to ride CX or is a comfy road bike you are after? It's just I know 2 guys who bought CX bikes to ride on the road as they seemed a "safe" option compared to a full on road bike - they both now want to "upgrade" to proper roadies.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Scott looks nicer, the Dale has the better groupset (no butting mentioned for the frame though!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Cannondale - looks nicer and better bits

Scotts are a bit flash for my delicate tastes

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    It's going to be a commuting/winter training bike primarily to replace my current CX bike. I'm leaning towards the 'dale I think. It does have a slightly better groupset as everyone has pointed out, but I suspect in everyday use it's not going to be that noticeable. I do prefer it's understated look to the Scott.

What I'm more interested in is how the rides compare. I've ridden a Cannondale road bike before but not a Scott. Being CX geometry, they're going to be different anyway. Evans don't even have these in stock so I wouldn't be able to do a test ride.

As for getting a full on roadie, I've got 2 of those already so this is strictly a n+1 purchase! :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Cannondale (and I own a Scott). Just prefer the understated look. The groupset's better.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I'd go for the Cannondale, too, for the above reasons. I also own a Scott roadie, which I love
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • I'm going to ignore the choices above and say that in this weather, or indeed in a lot of mud, disk brakes make a lot of sense. If what you're after is a CX bike for CX/Snow purposes, get one with disks. If what you're after is really a road bike, get a road bike.

My Genesis has mini-V's, they turn into giant snowballs at the moment. Thankfully they still work, but I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped at some point.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    The Cannondale looks the much nicer bike :wink:
    FCN 2 to 8