My Journey. GT build

z0tty
z0tty Posts: 47
edited January 2011 in Your mountain bikes
well better start with this!!

i was REALLY into the kite buggy scene from about 2001 but towards the end of 2008 i had pretty much lost the mojo for the sport :(. we moved house and ended up on the door step of Cannock chase (you know where this is going dont you?) well it didnt take long to spot the cars travelling past with bikes on the back on a regular basis, so i investigated. WOW... i found the 'follow the dog' trails!! so i needed a bike asap lol.

now i wasnt keen at the time to admit to my self that i had lost the kite buggy mojo so was reluctant to sell my kite gear which left my strugling for funds for a new hobby. so i sourced a frame off here and built it up budget style

Off to the trails i go :D!!

WOW

HOLY COW!!!

it all came flooding back.. my youth spent at birmingham wheels bmx track.. ridng the monkey run under the m6 in bromford (birmngham inner city lad me) etc etc!! i was addicted!

then the problems began! lol

brakes? what brakes!! seemed i needed new ones (although while waiting i did master the art of setting up mechanical disc brakes :D )

gears?? why wont they change up when i'm giving it some stick??

looked like i had to sell some kite gear didnt it lol

que the parts!!

2.jpg

ended up selling ALL the kite gear lol.

over a period of maybe 10 months i added

xt drivetrain
hope tech m4 brakes
hope pro 2 hubs on mtx 31 rims
gravity dropper (best thing since sliced bread)
easton bars
fattys flattys pedals
marz xc comp forks
and a few bits of bling lol..

i was happy....... for awhile!

the prob i had was i had gone up from 80mm travel forks to 100mm travel forks and i came across some pictures of some guys poor broken frame. and he had put it down to the longer forks.. the more i read up on it the more i worried about mine breaking lol

cue the GT xcr frame

3.jpg

i got the frame cheap from a local mtb forum member and did the rebuild..

WOW!! the change in ride was truely impressive :D .. switch backs suddenly became easy,, it went where i pointed it and did exactly what i asked of it...

but

i was aware the frame could take 130/140 travel.. and indeed that they came this way new lol..
the hunt was on for longer forks.

cue forks

PB062385.jpg

life was good... ish.

i hated the colour of the black frame.. hated it with a passion.. and as i had said before the frame came cheap meaning it hadnt got the best of paint finish's lol.. infact it had a fair few battle scars on it. also the bike had originally been built around a white frame so was kinda themed to match.

cue frame hunt number two

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

frame is a totally mint GT aggressor xc2 which i bought as a complete bike and transplanted the parts onto my sons Saracen mantra 2 (and thats another thread in the making lol)

lifes good for now :) very happy with my bike and it certainly does its job over at follow the dog or indeed around the monkey..

heres the spec list

GT xc2 frame

marzocchi Bomber 44 tst2 airs

gravity dropper turbo

Hope Head doctor

Hope Grip Doctor

hope Space Doctor

hope 203 floating saw rotors x 2

hope QR skewers

hope tech m4 brake front

hope tech m4 brake back

hope tech levers x 2

hope tech Master Cylinder Lid x 2

Hope fork cable guides

Hope seat QR seat clamp

Hope Bottom Bracket (SS)

Hope Mount Adapter rear

Hope Pro 2 Front hub

Hope Pro 2 Rear hub

Sunringle mtx31 rims (welded)

DT Swiss comp 2mm-1.8mm spokes x 74

Blue Spoke nipples x74

Fatties flattys pukkas pedals

Easton EA30 bars

FSA os 115 stem

Giant lock-on grips

Shimano XT 9sp shadow deraileur M772

Shimano XT Front mech M771

Shimano XT M770 9sp cassette

Shimano xt HT2 M770 chain set

shimano xt shifters (F&R) M770

Sram PC991 chain (9spd)

Tacx ceramic jocky wheels

Clarks Gear cables X 2

titainium m5 bolts x 12

aluminium m6 bolts x 8

Kcnc jocky wheel bolts

M-part fork cable guide

Cateye w100 trip comp

lizard skins chain stay protector

panracer XC Pro 2.1 x 2
if it fits in my man cave i want one!.. NOW!!

Comments

• El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    You have created a stunning bike. Also, nice transition from the original bike to the new one. It goes to show how anyone who starts off with a very basic bike can end up with something far more respectable.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Maybe shouldnt admit this but i quite like the look of the reebok bike in the 2nd pic!
  • z0tty
    edited June 2011
    You have created a stunning bike. Also, nice transition from the original bike to the new one. It goes to show how anyone who starts off with a very basic bike can end up with something far more respectable.

i thanks you sir :)
  • That latest GT looks great - I especially like the way that you've got the colour-matching scenery :D

In the summer (if we get one) are you going to get a green one?
  • Nice change from start to finish. I also thought the RBK frame looked ok without the decals on. Looks a quality bike now :)
  • z0tty
    edited June 2011
    Proutster wrote:
    That latest GT looks great - I especially like the way that you've got the colour-matching scenery :D

In the summer (if we get one) are you going to get a green one?

lol lol now there's a thought :D.. do they even do a green aggressor? lol.. and my eldest lad might not be best pleased at me needing the black frame back for those night time rides lol lol :D
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    Wow that's a lot of Hope stuff! :shock:

That is also, without a doubt, the most pimping Reebok bike I've ever seen! Looks well tasty! (I'm not afraid to admit it!)

Very nice job sir!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • D4V1D
    D4V1D Posts: 233
    Great read, and if I see you coming I'll get out of your way next time I'm at Cannock. 8)
    I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
    I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
    Cube Acid 2010
    Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
    Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
    Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    A case of "Trigger's Broom", perhaps?
  • z0tty
    Monkeypump wrote:
    A case of "Trigger's Broom", perhaps?

the flaw in that theory is the blind taste test.. you'd know if you'd have been unlucky or indeedy lucky enough to ride the Reebok.. hence forth with the item never became the item it originally was.. lol lol.. hows that for a befuddled way of putting it
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    wow very nice transformation. looks pimp :)
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I think I might have seen you riding the reebok round cannock once. You came flying past and took the warewolf drop flat out! Seeing you on the reebok doing it finally gave me the courage to do it on my gt( I have the xc2 frame like you, but with rockshox rev rlt forks)

Nice job anyway...
  • z0tty
    leaflite wrote:
    I think I might have seen you riding the reebok round cannock once. You came flying past and took the warewolf drop flat out! Seeing you on the reebok doing it finally gave me the courage to do it on my gt( I have the xc2 frame like you, but with rockshox rev rlt forks)

Nice job anyway...

i thanks you sir :).. and if it was me and it did help then top job for going for it and mastering the wolf :D:D. its defo a 80% commitment and 20% skill thang is the wolf.. stop and think and it tends to catch you out :)..

give us a shout if you see me about :)
  • You know, I would actually like to have that Reebok frame with no decals, cheep, cheerful and would make a fun build for something to toy about on.

Any idea what the weight was on the frame?

THe GTs looking good, and the spec looks very good.
  • z0tty
    edited June 2011
    THe GTs looking good, and the spec looks very good.

thanks bud :)
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Cool story bro. :lol:

Seriously, cool story, and bike.
  • z0tty
    well.. it has now done around 80 miles of various surfaces and i'm very happy with it :). i do plan to replace all the gear cables to full length runs so have ordered some 'blingy' ferrules and cable ends lol :)

next mission is the mid 80's ernie clements road bike my ole man has just handed down to me :)
  • Should be quite a cool build in the end then!
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Great post...shows passion and commitment !! top job fella....

(agree the bok does look kinda nice !)
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • z0tty
    thanks guys :)
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Love that bike mate! I have a similar frame, really nice frames for very little money!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I like white ones :P
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • z0tty
    edited January 2011
    i like both lol.. and have both living under the same roof :D:D(my son has the xcr now) although,, the white one could be black,, or indeed black and white lol meaning i have the best of both worlds right?? :)
  • z0tty
    nice bikes you have there guys btw :D both look gooooooooood :)