World Cup Road Race - Is it England's time again?

ratsbeyfus
ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
edited December 2010 in Pro race
So no footy World cup in England... how about the Road Race? last time was 1982 inGoodwood (thanks Wikipedia). When do the UCI decide where the races will be held? How are the decisions made? Where would be a good venue? Did anyone on BR go and see the Goodwood race(s)?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey

Comments

• jungle drums say on grapevine that it will be in surrey , posble area dorking :lol:
  • ratsbeyfus
    Ooooh? Ask jungle drummers when please?

@ratsbey
  • England has the Olympics in 2012 and had the Euro in 1996. Still, I found the news disappointing.

2022 in Qatar, man, that is 12 years away, I don't see why they had to decide that right away unless it had to do with keeping countries from bidding for different World Cups, still, one of those maybe Australia would have been better, they had the Olympics a few years ago, 2000 I think.

Still, Qatar is going to have indoor stadiums, I guess that will work out okay, 2022 really is a helluva long way down the road.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,752
    I assume you mean the World Champs rather than the World Cup? Last World Cup race in the UK was the Wincanton Classic in the realy 90s if I remember rightly.
  • ratsbeyfus
    Pross wrote:
    I assume you mean the World Champs rather than the World Cup? Last World Cup race in the UK was the Wincanton Classic in the realy 90s if I remember rightly.

Oops... yep. World Champs is what I mean... :oops:

@ratsbey
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    They are in Copenhagen next year and Maastricht, Limburg, in 2012. ( :D - about 500 metres from where I live ), so at least 3 years away for England. Would be lovely around the Peak District.....
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • The Goodwood Worlds was just before my time as a pro-racing fan, though some of my old club-mates went.

I was told there's a stone marker at the finish line site commemorating the race, I wonder if this is it? (the small grey thing buried into the bank, it's at the right location).

5229311852_1e1c756efe.jpg
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Would be nice to see Cav win his second WC on home soil... :wink:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Pross wrote:

Nah last one was the Rochester Classic in 1997. Think it was one by Andrea Tafi, or one of the Italians. Then got replaced on the World Cup calendar by Hamburg.

World Championships are assigned up until 2013 aren't they. Think Florence got announced as 2013 during the Autumn.

We've had in 1982 (Goodwood) and 1970 (Leicester).
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Why does Italy get it so often? France doesn't seem to get it much and has it ever been in Germany?

Do Salanches again I say. That was a course.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Tafi won Rochester in 97 - simply rode off the front in his inimitable style.

Getting the Worlds is simply down to the quality of the bid and the recognition by a local authority that it's worth the effort. The reason that Italy hosts so many is that the communities value the opportunity to promote their region and make a huge effort.

I'm not sure the burghers of Mole Valley would ever understand the benefit of hosting the WCs in the Surrey Hills if it means they can't get their 4x4 to the garden centre - stonkingly good course though! With the Olympics heading that way, might inspire some people.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    Would be nice to see Cav win his second WC on home soil... :wink:

Yep. 250 laps of Hillngdon would do it!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Timoid. wrote:
    Why does Italy get it so often? France doesn't seem to get it much and has it ever been in Germany?

Do Salanches again I say. That was a course.

Stuttgart twice relatively recently.
    But yes, the amount of times Italy gets them awarded is perverse, especially considering Mendrisio and Lugano are pretty much bang on the Italian botder too.

It would be great, but with the worlds now spanning two weeks, and daily road closures, pretty unlikely with the general public's tolerance for road closures...
  • pottssteve wrote:
    They are in Copenhagen next year and Maastricht, Limburg, in 2012. ( :D - about 500 metres from where I live ), so at least 3 years away for England. Would be lovely around the Peak District.....

+1 Back The Bid - 2014 Sheffield. Would be something like the Varese or Mendrisio course I think
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,952
    Championships
    Year Country Location 
    1927  Germany Nürburgring 
    1928  Hungary Budapest 
    1929  Switzerland Zürich 
    1930  Belgium Liège 
    1931  Denmark Copenhagen 
    1932  Italy Rome 
    1933  France Montlhéry 
    1934  Germany Leipzig 
    1935  Belgium Floreffe 
    1936  Switzerland Berne 
    1937  Denmark Copenhagen 
    1938  Netherlands Valkenburg 
    no race from 1939 to 1945 because of World War II 
    1946  Switzerland Zürich 
    1947  France Reims 
    1948  Netherlands Valkenburg 
    1949  Denmark Copenhagen 
    1950  Belgium Moorslede 
    1951  Italy Varese 
    1952  Luxembourg Luxembourg 
    1953  Switzerland Lugano 
    1954  West Germany Solingen 
    1955  Italy Frascati 
    1956  Denmark Copenhagen 
    1957  Belgium Waregem 
    1958  France Reims 
    1959  Netherlands Zandvoort 
     Year Country City 
    1960  East Germany Karl-Marx-Stadt 
    1961  Switzerland Berne 
    1962  Italy Salò di Garda 
    1963  Belgium Ronse 
    1964  France Sallanches 
    1965  Spain San Sebastián 
    1966  West Germany Nürburgring 
    1967  Netherlands Heerlen 
    1968  Italy Imola 
    1969  Belgium Zolder 
    1970  United Kingdom Leicester 
    1971  Switzerland Mendrisio 
    1972  France Gap 
    1973  Spain Barcelona 
    1974  Canada Montreal 
    1975  Belgium Yvoir 
    1976  Italy Ostuni 
    1977  Venezuela San Cristóbal 
    1978  West Germany Nürburgring 
    1979  Netherlands Valkenburg 
    1980  France Sallanches 
    1981  Czechoslovakia Prague 
    1982  United Kingdom Goodwood 
    1983  Switzerland Altenrhein 
    1984  Spain Barcelona 
    1985  Italy Giavera del Montello 
    1986  United States Colorado Springs 
    1987  Austria Villach 
    1988  Belgium Ronse 
    1989  France Chambéry 
    1990  Japan Utsunomiya 
    1991  Germany Stuttgart 
    1992  Spain Benidorm 
    1993  Norway Oslo 
    1994  Italy Agrigento 
    1995  Colombia Duitama 
    1996  Switzerland Lugano 
    1997  Spain San Sebastián 
    1998  Netherlands Valkenburg 
    1999  Italy Verona 
    2000  France Plouay 
    2001  Portugal Lisbon 
    2002  Belgium Zolder and Hasselt 
    2003  Canada Hamilton 
    2004  Italy Verona 
    2005  Spain Madrid 
    2006  Austria Salzburg 
    2007  Germany Stuttgart 
    2008  Italy Varese 
    2009  Switzerland Mendrisio 
    2010  Australia Melbourne and Geelong 
    2011  Denmark Copenhagen 
    2012  Netherlands Limburg 
    2013  Italy Florence

Is it suprising that it has never been in Ireland?

Also it's only been outside Europe 5 times!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ratsbeyfus

Also it's only been outside Europe 5 times!

Shhhhhhh... someone from Qatar might be listening.

@ratsbey
  • ratsbeyfus

+1 Back The Bid - 2014 Sheffield. Would be something like the Varese or Mendrisio course I think

Anyone got any ideas how we can make this more likely to happen? Who do we have to petition? Local authorities? British cycling? The Queen. I may have no credibility, but I am being serious here.

Will there be bungs involved?

@ratsbey
  • British Cycling I'd imagine, then they'll deal with the relevant authorities
  • ratsbeyfus
    Thanks for that. Between us I'm sure we can rattle off a very persuasive email. Here goes. Ahem:

Dear British Cycling

We, the undersigned BR forum massive, think that it's about time that the World Championship Road Race was held in Britain. We think Sheffield would be nice. Whaddya think? Sort it out, or we'll kick up a stink.

Yours

Ratsbeyfus (Mr)

If you'd like to add your name to the list reply to post. I'm sure there is a cleverer / more effective way of doing petitions online, so if anyone out there knows how to do it feel free to do so. If spen666 could just check over my letter with his legal beagle eyes just to make sure everything's kosher I'd really appreciate it.

Come on BR massive - we can make this happen.

@ratsbey
  • It's good but I think it needs a little something extra. Just so they know we're serious, like
    Dear British Cycling

We, the undersigned BR forum massive, think that it's about time that the World Championship Road Race was held in Britain. We think Sheffield would be nice. Whaddya think? Sort it out, or we'll kick up a stink. Also, we know the Russians, and you seen what they can do of they want something bad enough.

Yours

T.T.H. Road (Mr)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

Back about 11 years ago, Pat McQuaid, when he was president of the Irish federation, was bidding to get the Worlds for Killarney. However, to get the relevant infrastructure in place was going to cost about 4 or 5 million Euro, which McQuaid sought from the Department of Tourism, IIRC. The minister refused, apparently mentioning exactly what had happened the last time pro cycling visited Ireland in '98. There was no way he was forking over the taxpayers money to such a drug-riddled sport.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,752
    Hopefully if we do put it on again we can find an inspiring course and gice a high quality race - problem with big racing in this country is we tend to go half baked with it.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Pross wrote:
    Hopefully if we do put it on again we can find an inspiring course and gice a high quality race - problem with big racing in this country is we tend to go half baked with it.

Yep, if we do it I'd like to see a proper, challenging course. Not one that's tailor made for Cav.