Mini V Brakes - Is front different from the rear?

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Thinking about upgrading my cantis to mini Vs. Do you just get 2 the same, or is there a difference between front and rear?

Comments

• Two the same as far as I've ever known.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Let me know how you get on with them. I'm in the process of ditching my Avid Shorty's on the FG as I just cannot get them set up right and am waiting on some cheap standard V's from eBay, but they may not work so well with my levers in which case I will need to go with Mini V's.
    Thanks.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • kelsen
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Let me know how you get on with them. I'm in the process of ditching my Avid Shorty's on the FG as I just cannot get them set up right and am waiting on some cheap standard V's from eBay, but they may not work so well with my levers in which case I will need to go with Mini V's.
    Thanks.

I've read that they can be too 'grabby', but maybe that's more a concern if you race with them.
  • You'll need to run the pads really close to the rims and they'll feel very spongey.

I've got v's on the pompino, and the interrupter levers feel awful; they do make a nice casual brake though.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The only difference between front & rear v-brakes are the guide pipes.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Butterd2
    Well I set up the V-brake (Cane creek direct drive) with the TT lever (again Cane creek) and the results seems pretty good so far.

The clearance is ok but then this is my commuter not a CX bike. The brake lever itself feels a bit spongy but bloody hell they are powerful, not "grabby" but I definitely need to modulate the braking force and not just grab a handful as I did with the Avid Shorty's which I just could not get to work.

Given the road conditions today was not the day to really test them but a big improvement.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • kelsen
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Well I set up the V-brake (Cane creek direct drive) with the TT lever (again Cane creek) and the results seems pretty good so far.

The clearance is ok but then this is my commuter not a CX bike. The brake lever itself feels a bit spongy but bloody hell they are powerful, not "grabby" but I definitely need to modulate the braking force and not just grab a handful as I did with the Avid Shorty's which I just could not get to work.

Given the road conditions today was not the day to really test them but a big improvement.

That sounds promising. Did you upgrade the pads?

I purchased a Tektro Mini-V for the front but haven't got round to fitting it yet.
  • Butterd2
    kelsen wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

That sounds promising. Did you upgrade the pads?

I purchased a Tektro Mini-V for the front but haven't got round to fitting it yet.

No, I actually "downgraded" the pad. I had put some of the 3 colour Koolstop pads on the Avids in a final attempt to make them work but the V's (2nd hand off eBay) came with a new set of cheap pads so I set them up with these thinking I would leave the Koolstops on the Avids just in case I had to switch back and couldn't face another 2 hours of trying to get the bloody things set up again.
    I also fitted an in line adjuster to the cable so I can move the pads in as they wear as the TT levers do not have any adjustment on them.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols