Replacement for Tektro Mini V-Brake (STI levers)?

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited December 2010 in Commuting general
My cross bike (single speed with Shimano STI levers - a Genesis day one) currently has Tektro mini V-brakes.

They're rubbish and I'm forever adjusting them and have also managed to strip one of the threads of the little adjusting bolt.

I know only certain types of v-brakes work with STI levers - is there any particular brand/kind, I should be on the lookout for?

Comments

• pastryboy wrote:
    My cross bike (single speed with Shimano STI levers - a Genesis day one) currently has Tektro mini V-brakes.

They're rubbish and I'm forever adjusting them and have also managed to strip one of the threads of the little adjusting bolt.

I know only certain types of v-brakes work with STI levers - is there any particular brand/kind, I should be on the lookout for?

Mini-V brakes and STI are a marginal match. The brakes are often hard to adjust right because the pads run so close to the rim.
    Tektro mini-V brakes are often considered quite good. Especially the Tektro RX5 and RX6 are highly recommended among Cyclo-cross riders.

Mini-V brakes with arm lengths around 85 mm seems to be the best match for STI levers.

--
    Regards
  • IF you hate them, the new avid ultimate shorties are supposed to be amazing...
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    + 1 For the Avid Ultimate shortys. But these really work best with SRAM levers. For STI s then I assume your using Shimano levers in which case try TRP CX 9 's. both these options are quite expensive though.
  • KentS
    KentS Posts: 240
    Have you concidered travel-agents and full size V-brakes. I've just bulit a cyclocross with that set-up.