Winter proofing a Langster...

dhope
dhope Posts: 6,699
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Currently have a fairly stock 2008 Langster, fixed on 23mm slicks with Crud RoadRacer mudguards, a front brake and flat handlebars. Clearance between tyre and front fork is not particularly accommodating.
Today was a bit slipply, the only other bike is a roadie that is tucked up until the sun comes out.

Suggestions for making the fixed a bit more winter friendly? Think I can get 28s at a squeeze, a rear brake could make sense, or new front fork with a more CX sizing to allow for slightly heftier tyres?

It's only a shortish London commute so I'm not about to go offroad or come up against a foot of snow, just want to be able to have the choice of veering away from car tracks for a moment without feeling the back snaking around.
Rose Xeon CW Disc
CAAD12 Disc
Condor Tempo

Comments

• Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    put it in shed, get mountain bike out. simple.
  • get a mtb...you know it makes sense :)
    actually, might have one to sell.........are you interested? It comes with loverrrrly knobby tyres :lol:
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    get a btwin vitamin and winter proof that :D
    Hat + Beard
  • dhope
    Alphabet wrote:

Don't own a shed, don't own a MTB :(
    get a mtb...you know it makes sense :)
    actually, might have one to sell.........are you interested? It comes with loverrrrly knobby tyres :lol:

Hmm, possibly... what is it?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Well I have some 700x28's on order once they come through we could always switch front wheels quickly and see if they do fit. As much as anything the ability to run them at a lower pressure should make a difference.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • dhope
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Well I have some 700x28's on order once they come through we could always switch front wheels quickly and see if they do fit. As much as anything the ability to run them at a lower pressure should make a difference.

Could be worth a try. What tyres did you plump for?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope
    dhope wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:

Just got the PM. I'm tempted, damn you Cyclopsbiker - I shame you into MTFD and having a bit of a lie in to then ride in with HB and me, and you repay me by tempting me to buy a new bike.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:

Just got the PM. I'm tempted, damn you Cyclopsbiker - I shame you into MTFD and having a bit of a lie in to then ride in with HB and me, and you repay me by tempting me to buy a new bike.

hehehehehehe you KNOW it makes sense. you were sooo jealous of my mtb and knobbies....in no time at all you could be whizzing along in the snow smiling like a cheshire cat...... :lol:
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    dhope wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

Could be worth a try. What tyres did you plump for?

These http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-randon ... city-tyre/

Tho I note they are now showing out of stock and I have not received my dispatch email from Wiggle yet :(
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols