Snow advice please - London - Kensington to City.

BR 1979
BR 1979 Posts: 296
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi, I've used the tube for the last two days. Forgotten how much I hated it and how slow it is.

Today the pavements up Holland Road are snowy and I know they'll be an ice rink tonight.

Can someone advise on grip levels in central London (specifically on my route if possible - Kenny High St, HPC, past Her Maj's London pad, TS, Embankment and then up to the City at London Bridge.

If there's any chance of ice I'm not doing it, but if I can carry on I will. Can't take the tube all week - It's ruddy expensive too! Really resent spending cash on something I hate.

Would beat falling on my arse on the pavement in a suit.

Cheers for info.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    The roads I saw looked like slush but I guess there is a risk of freezing. I think it'll be ok in central if you don't leave it to late.

My only option for getting home is to bike tonight, I doubt SW trains have much service going on.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I join your route at Embankment. The roads are slushy in parts, but otherwise wet. Perfectly rideable, just take it easy.

I rode home after midnight last night, too and there wasn't any ice - too much traffic, I guess.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Central London is fine, and will be fine as long as the slush doesn't freeze. Just stick to main roads and leave while it's still light out. Would not fancy riding in the dark - at least not on my bike.
  • BR 1979
    Central London is fine, and will be fine as long as the slush doesn't freeze. Just stick to main roads and leave while it's still light out. Would not fancy riding in the dark - at least not on my bike.
    Slush freezing is my fear. Also, have no choice re dark. V. Busy and won't be leaving before 6.30pm earliest.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Its slushy mate - not freezing due to salt on road and amount of traffic. take it easy though - it ain't too nice out there.
  • BR 1979
    That was fine.

Only place that seemed a bit dodgy was down the back of the Barracks in Knightsbridge. I kept well out of the cycle lane though and it was fine.

I did ride very slowly though, really enjoyed the crispness of the air.

Bontrager Hardcases in freezing conditions!? Pah! :)