SE chain gang

cyclopsbiker
cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
thanks for the ride in guys...good to have support on the (mostly) slushy roads.
I know HB got in fine, hope Butterd2 and DHope did too? sorry I didn't say bye DHope, I totally thought you'd catch me up on King William St :lol:

next time Depfordmarmasot has promised bacon sarnies so lets do it again soon :lol:

Comments

• Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Good to meet you too CB. Remainder of my journey was pretty uneventful tho I did try to give it the beans over Tower Bridge and realised that my legs were shot from "the Hunted" last night! Lucky the snow gave me an excuse for riding slowly or I'd have been getting pretty badly scalped today.
    Anyway it was good to put some faces to names and hopefully we can do it again soon, with either a bacon sarnie (am) or beer (pm) at the end of it.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I hit snooze on my alarm twice...so was about 15 minutes late. Thought the roads were worse than yesterday nearer the centre
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Butterd2
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I hit snooze on my alarm twice...so was about 15 minutes late. Thought the roads were worse than yesterday nearer the centre

Agreed, definitely the worst the roads have been this week, I was looking enviously at CB's nobblies.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    thanks for the ride in guys...good to have support on the (mostly) slushy roads.
    I know HB got in fine, hope Butterd2 and DHope did too? sorry I didn't say bye DHope, I totally thought you'd catch me up on King William St :lol:

next time Depfordmarmasot has promised bacon sarnies so lets do it again soon :lol:

I went left down Cannon St :D

Certainly reached the limit of what my silly tarty fixed gear, one brake, slick tires and clip-ins can do, the back wheel was all over the place and I had one following MTBer commend me on my bravery while laughing as I fishtailed at next to no speed. I think he was being kind to call it bravery. Someone else summed it up better with "Mate, I think you'll have problems on that".

Nice to put faces to names, drinks after work this evening so PT home and back in tomorrow.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    i was apparently like greased lightning this morning and got there at 7:35. no offence, but you lot aren't worth standing in the cold for 25 minutes for!
  • mese13
    mese13 Posts: 38
    I'll join you all next time, if that's OK? Rode the same route in today from Deptford Church Street to Tower Bridge, but didn't see many riders around.

Roads were fine. Just took it relatively slowly, looking for non-slushy paths. Only dicey bit was on the way out of Surrey Quays outside the park gates where the snow seemed to be compacting on the road and my back end flipped out.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    OKR was a slush-fest. And had to suffer the ignominy of being passed at relatively high speed by a bloke on a big old mountain bike with nobblies. Curse these slicks.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    mese13 wrote:
    I'll join you all next time, if that's OK? Rode the same route in today from Deptford Church Street to Tower Bridge, but didn't see many riders around.

Roads were fine. Just took it relatively slowly, looking for non-slushy paths. Only dicey bit was on the way out of Surrey Quays outside the park gates where the snow seemed to be compacting on the road and my back end flipped out.

thats where dhope almost came a cropper the first time (and I lost the backend for a brief second).

The slab of ice just across the junction between tooley street and tower bridge (heading up towards LB) was fun as well.

not sure what to do about the return journey tonight as I get the feeling that all that slush will be solid ice by then. :?

edit: and you're more than welcome to join us. what do you ride and what time are you normally going along there should our paths ever cross?
    Hat + Beard
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Oh you've all moved to a new thread. I didn't head down DCS coz it involves some slightly less used, snowier streets... We'll have to do it again and I'll be there next time...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • DHope - oh! left onto Cannon St...I could have gone that way but thought you were heading to Bank! we'll work on communications if we ever do a longer route :lol:

I'll be heading home from Holborn about 5pm - anyone want to join me for the return?
    HB - can you get out early?
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Looked out of the window @ 3 am & saw a whiteout & it was just too cosy in bed this morning ( ;) ) so I'm afraid I quiched guys...

Heard the Blackwall Tunnel was shut so when I came up Evelyn St it was absolutely solid in traffic & it felt great to cycle down the slush in the middle of the road without a care in the world :D

Had been going to take the knobblies off this morning as riding on dry roads is a nightmare but glad I didn't.

Will MTFU for the next meet.
  • hatbeard
    DHope - oh! left onto Cannon St...I could have gone that way but thought you were heading to Bank! we'll work on communications if we ever do a longer route :lol:

I'll be heading home from Holborn about 5pm - anyone want to join me for the return?
    HB - can you get out early?

unlikely as I'm at end of project but if the boss isn't here I might be able to swing it.

text me about 4 and I should know by then.

failing that I'm thinking I might find a warm pub somewhere between farringdon and blackfriars and sit out the rush hour then get the riverboat back about half 8ish to greenwich.
    Hat + Beard
  • Butterd2
    Right I'm heading off at 3pm to get home before dark, looking pretty nasty out there now.

(Well it was certainly proper cold when I went to the pub at lunchtime)

Ride safe.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Headhuunter
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Right I'm heading off at 3pm to get home before dark, looking pretty nasty out there now.

Ride safe.

I just went outside to test the air and it feels positively tropical! Must be ooh at least 1 or 2C. I almost felt like sunbathing. You'll be fine...
  • Butterd2 wrote:

Ride safe.

no chance of me joining you...gonna be nearer 5.30 when I get out
    give us a road report when you're home
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 wrote:

Ride safe.

I just went outside to test the air and it feels positively tropical! Must be ooh at least 1 or 2C. I almost felt like sunbathing. You'll be fine...

You were right, ride home was almost pleasant, dunno why I felt so cold at lunchtime.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Butterd2
    give us a road report when you're home

Sorry, only just got on line but you will know by now that the roads were ok (at least better tan this morning).

I can give you a report on the door I got glazed and painted when I got home tho, get a bit more DiY done tomorrow whilst I wfh methinks.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Butterd2...yeah, roads were fine. did you see the strange ice blobs just before Surrey Quays station? on the bit in between the two sets of traffic lights? my front wheel slipped a bit on those, was avoiding the slush/iced up bike lane and ran over them!
  • hatbeard
    me too. I was trying to pass someone on a mtb who was spinning out on some stupid gear so pulled around him straight across those lines of blobs, scared the bejeezus out of me (I may have shouted 'what the f**k' very loudly and scared the mtb'er :lol: )

I encountered a few on the approach to the rotherhithe roundabout this morning as well.

nasty little things.
    Hat + Beard
  • Headhuunter
    Bloody colder than ever this morning. For the 1st time in my bike commuting career I wished I had a full face mask or balaclcava, my face and lips felt like they were going to peel off! Didn't see any ice on the roads though but I have been heading down Lewisham Way/OKR
  • hatbeard
    the fleece neck buff I got off the front of fast bike magazine is doing a stand up job of keeping the cold off my face... it's only a cheapy one, sure you could find one on ebay or somewhere.

face masks just seem to be overkill to me.

or you could get a beardhead :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • Bumpity-bump for the SE Londoners' chain gang. These guys, Union Cycle Works, under the arches behind the Deptford Project (aka the railway carriage café) are holding 'Open Tool' sessions on the first Saturday of each month.

2010_0921Various0060.JPG

I managed to pop in and have a look-see this morning - they seemed very friendly, so if you need a bit of fettling space with handy tools (and advice) in return for a voluntary contribution, this might be a useful little resource.

Their website is here: http://www.unioncycleworks.org.uk/news/ ... s_starting

And there's a very brief bit of background here: http://deptfordmarmoset.blogspot.com/20 ... works.html
  • dhope
    Bumpity-bump for the SE Londoners' chain gang. These guys, Union Cycle Works, under the arches behind the Deptford Project (aka the railway carriage café) are holding 'Open Tool' sessions on the first Saturday of each month.

2010_0921Various0060.JPG

I managed to pop in and have a look-see this morning - they seemed very friendly, so if you need a bit of fettling space with handy tools (and advice) in return for a voluntary contribution, this might be a useful little resource.

And there's a very brief bit of background here: http://deptfordmarmoset.blogspot.com/20 ... works.html

Hrm, interesting. Shame I missed the one today. Will aim to get over there for the next one. Depending on what happens to the possibly cracked frame of my Boardman I may be in need of some guidance in rebuilding with a new frame anyway...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    Bumpity-bump for the SE Londoners' chain gang. These guys, Union Cycle Works, under the arches behind the Deptford Project (aka the railway carriage café) are holding 'Open Tool' sessions on the first Saturday of each month.

2010_0921Various0060.JPG

One of my neighbours is involved in this project!
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    It's icy out there, and that was just from a quick walk around the block, which was a tad dodgy in itself!

Not sure I'll man-up enough to get out on the bike in the morning while it's still dark...we shall see.
  • dhope
    nich wrote:
    It's icy out there, and that was just from a quick walk around the block, which was a tad dodgy in itself!

Not sure I'll man-up enough to get out on the bike in the morning while it's still dark...we shall see.

Seemed pretty much gone this evening, went out for a run around Greenwich and there was a bit on sideroads but none on the main roads
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Apart from my road, and an icey patch near the london wall it was all ok.

Only problem is that my strawberry fruit juice has turned into a slush puppy, quite tasty actually :lol: