Anybody fallen off on the ice this year?

saladfunky
saladfunky Posts: 130
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
I came off :oops: for the first time ever on ice, at 20mph on a lane last night. smacked my head on the road but was fine thanks to the helmet. Today I tell collegues and 3 of them have fallen on ice this week, one has a bruized hip.

Anyone else fallen?

:oops:
Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Yes I have.
    I went for a pootle in the park on Sunday and rode past a patch of ice on a small slope. I wondered if I could stay upright on it so I turned back to try.

I failed, but it was fun.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    was a bit hairy (no pun intended) last night going along the side street by my house but I took it super s l o w.

not going down that road again until spring :lol:

the rest of the route's been fine so far not really seen much ice yet.
    Hat + Beard
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    had a few bum clenching moments last night and this morning - couple of two wheel slides, but i stayed upright. the bike fell away under me at a junction this morning, but i was on flatties, so just put both me feet down. like a ninja cat.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    I fell off in Feb this year......That counts...doesn't it? ;)

I was riding off road on my MTB, came over a muddy lump and saw an area of untouched snow a couple of meters ahead, The child in me took over and went for it without thinking, front wheel touched, and before I knew what had happened WHooooaaah!

Bike slid away from under me, and a split second later I was lying in a 6 inch deep muddy puddle surrounded by ice and snow.

Carried on for a couple of miles more with a few other slips but no falls, before I had had enough and went home :(
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Had a bullet time moment between losing it on the ice, kicking the bike forwards and landing on my ample rear last night.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I came down on some ice on a bend last week, at about 15mph, I should think. Fell on my bottom and skated along on it for a bit, so no damage. Some ugly tarmac scrapes on the handlebars, though.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    no probs ^yet^ - cycled up and down the hills in sheffield to the station on my racer.
    I let the tyres down quite a bit and lowered the seat so feet were closer to ground.
    Thin tyres aren't too bad, they cut through the snow, but not so good on exposed ice.
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    not worth it really - what will the wife and kids think if you end up under a bus?
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    I went down today. Thought of seeing if one little road would take me in a similar direction as the original route. It was all fine until (almost) end. A bump in the form of a sloped bit of ice - I stayed upright, but then hit another one in a similar direction. I kind of just fell on my side, but now I'm wondering if I could ahve bent the frame - as I fell on the side the pedal... was err... there - can't remembre if it was at the top or bottom. (12 o'clock or 6 o'clock side on).

Man...

Also yesterday I took out my ~7 year old £130 FS MTB. Went to a local-ish shop and locked up the front (only has front brake :p). The bike slid from under me and I landed on my chest. Oh - also broke the front bit of a clip on mudguard in the process.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Yep went down on my hip and elbow last week. Overcooked a corner to low and front wheel went from under me on ice.
  • Not yet but I was snaking a bit on the fluffy snow yesterday. Freezing under current falls now so will be more tricky tomorrow. Fun though
  • I fell off in Feb this year......That counts...doesn't it? Wink
    this (but March).
    Cracked my femur.

Still, had put in an awful lot of saddle time over winter till that point, so I reckon the chances of anything bad are pretty small. Still out riding so far this winter.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Came a cropper in the ice we had at the beginning of the year. Rounding a corner onto cobbles at 4mph and I'm now lying on the apex of the bend with the bike still between my legs looking up to see if I was seen falling off by anybody I knew.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Had a quality off this morning at 5.30AM. Caning up a country lane (clear tarmac). Hit a bit of snow, all good.. Then a dip in the road (after heavy rain, this area often floods). I look down; the road surface is sheet ice, with a light dusting of fresh snowfall. "Mmm, looks like a tasty dessert" I think, as I unconsciously shift my weight forwards in the direction of my studded front tyre. As I hit an incline, the rear slides, out of control.

Fortuitously, I landed squarely on my fakenger bag. Work clothes (and a banana) absorbed all impact. That and the low friction of snow covered ice (slid a good few yards up the hill).
    Only things that were damaged were the banana, a light that was clipped on to my bag, and an unrealistic, if not quixotic, belief in my ability to ride hard, on ice, with a studded front tyre and a skinny rear.

Took a bit more care on the way home.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Double footed slip this morning walking on ice in cleated shoes, lucky for me I fell against the bonnet of my car. I'm terrified of landing on my injured shoulder that would very painful and potentially very serious.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I put the MTB down in the snow on Sunday morning, Irionically I hit a patch of gravel and spun out the rear wheel. With SPDs there was only one way to go!

Bob
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Almost ended up on a car bonnet last night as I was filtering down the cycle lane to the front at some lights. Cyclelane sloped to the guttter and my bike slowly started sliding from under me, managed to just clear the car (leaning over it) before putting my foot down. Said 'sorry' to the driver but she didn't look too concerned.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    At the start of the year, managed a 35 mile round trip before going over sideways on my driveway :roll:

Helmet saved the day luckily!
  • Diesel:RichardAndSarahs?authkey=Gv1sRgCLO1-czpytr2swE#5340516697223550274
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I made some ice tyres for less than £20 with cheapie MTB knobblies, 100 no.3 panhead self-tapping screws, a tube of copydex and an old inner tube.
    Tools: braddle, screwdriver, dremel cutting disc.
    Time: About 3 hrs.
  • Dog Breath wrote:

Not good dog breath, I hope your partner gets fixed quickly. The hips seems a common place to fall onto. I have just a bit of whiplash from when my head bounced on the road and a stiff back from where I fell. I got off very lightly!!

:shock:
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • MichaelW wrote:
    I made some ice tyres for less than £20 with cheapie MTB knobblies, 100 no.3 panhead self-tapping screws, a tube of copydex and an old inner tube.
    Tools: braddle, screwdriver, dremel cutting disc.
    Time: About 3 hrs.

Wow, got any pics?

8)