Unexpected windfall

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
I just checked my bank account and it's seems I've come into a bit of cash, interest on my savings a whopping 15 pence :shock:

What should I spend this on?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    carbon fibre house
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    A new bike....I would ;)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • itboffin
    t0pc4t wrote:
    carbon fibre house

nice but it would blow away :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Nooooooo, don't spend it. If you spend the interest, eventually inflation will devalue your capital.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Put it towards the increased tax on your next can of super strength lager
    Misguided Idealist
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    A Rema 'Tip Top' patch.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    oooh these days that could get you at least 1x penny sweet
    Hat + Beard
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    itboffin wrote:
    I just checked my bank account and it's seems I've come into a bit of cash, interest on my savings a whopping 15 pence :shock:

When I ride into town on Saturday mornings, I find more than that on the pavement. :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    You're always mean to yourself.

Dude Garmin 800.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    Chiggy wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

When I ride into town on Saturday mornings, I find more than that on the pavement. :lol:

You know you shouldn't ride on the pavement :wink:
  • itboffin
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Dude Garmin 800.

Touch screen = FAIL

just don't need it for the extra cash plus the 705 looks better.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Dude Garmin 800.

Touch screen = FAIL

I have been thinking, 'would it work when i'm wearing my winter gloves?'. Based on experience with other touchscreen devices I'm guessing not.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited December 2010
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Dude Garmin 800.

Touch screen = FAIL

Dunno, my Tom Tom and iPhone work well....

The success of the Garmin 800 will depend on whether its capacitive or resistive, while a capacitive touch screen (like an iPhone) works better and allows for more detailed motion. The Garmin will need a resistive screen so you don't have to keep taking your gloves off to work the damn thing.

I trust I don't have to blubber a capacitive/resistive touch screen explanation to the mighty boffin...

Edit:
    Jonginge wrote:
    I have been thinking, 'would it work when i'm wearing my winter gloves?'. Based on experience with other touchscreen devices I'm guessing not.

Well I suppose you explain things like quantum physics to me so its only fair.

iPhone screen = capacitive touch screen = detects the conductive properties in the finger as it moves over the screen, which is why its sliding is so smooth. Gloves will prevent the electric signal from the finger reaching the screen.

Tom Tom = resistive touch screen = works on pressure i.e. finger or stylus (note a iPhone won't respond to a standard stylus as it doesn't work on pressure), less elegant but can use gloves.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    JonGinge wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Dude Garmin 800.

Touch screen = FAIL

exactly

Also tell me this Garmin peeps, does the virtual partner thingy work if the unit was on a turbo trainer obv with the cadence unit fitted as well?

I'm expecting many months of turbo riding next year and i'd like to race myself, perhaps!
  • itboffin
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Dude Garmin 800.

Touch screen = FAIL

The success of the Garmin 800 will depend on whether its capacitive or resistive, while a capacitive touch screen (like an iPhone) works better and allows for more detailed motion. The Garmin will need a resistive screen so you don't have to keep taking your gloves off to work the damn thing.

I trust I don't have to blubber a capacitive/resistive touch screen explanation to the mighty boffin...

I have been know to use the tip of my nose rather than take my gloves off :lol:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Possibly vote Cav for SPOTY.

Though I'd prefer to see Graeme MacDowell win. Local boy done good and all that
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    Rather annoyingly I found a couple of iphone apps recently that plot rather good cycle routes and use several different maps, still it doesn't have cadence nor ascent/descent

So it's still looking good for Garmin.
  • hatbeard
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Dude Garmin 800.

Touch screen = FAIL

wish i'd thought of that this morning, would have spared me one of my rants. :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Cheers, DDD. Makes sense. Not really thought about it, just used the things :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    Be warned using your nose to operate your iphone WILL make you look like a total nutcase, especially if like me your prone to talking to yourself whilst cycling.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Warning: using your nose to operate touchscreen phones may result in decreased dialling accuracy.
    Misguided Idealist
  • hatbeard
    itboffin wrote:
    Be warned using your nose to operate your iphone WILL make you look like a total nutcase, especially if like me your prone to talking to yourself whilst cycling.

I was ranting like a nutjob anyways as I couldn't get my gloves off and my alarm tone was babbling on about needing a cup of tea. using my nose would have made me appear more sane if anything.
    Hat + Beard
  • Why have you left "50p Razzle" and "Asian Babes" off the list?

Turned over a new leaf, all of a sudden? :?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Dude Garmin 800.

Touch screen = FAIL

Just carry a cocktail sausage to use as a stylus.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    Asprilla wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Dude Garmin 800.

Touch screen = FAIL

Just carry a cocktail sausage to use as a stylus.

:lol:

I'd need a whole bag full as they'd get eaten after/during use.

:lol:
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    You could always invest in the latest gadget from Apple.

No need to worry about how the touch screen works = WIN
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Surely we need to invest this in something for the bike, nice carbon frame perhaps, invest at 3% compound interest (if you can find it) and in about 150 years you'll have enough (assuming zero inflation between now and then).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.