People who bought an Aurora P7 last year...

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Is it still working ok?

Mine was fine last year but this year started flickering - now it's lost about 90% of its brightness (happens with any of my three batteries) and is pretty much useless.

Comments

• I've got a cheap DealExtreme P7 which doesn't flicker, but is WAY down on light.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    The Dinotte I got in 2006 is still working fine

I must work out how to upgrade it
  • Works fine :) We now have one on my commuter, one on my GF's and two! on my bruv'n'law's.

Slight prob with the end-cap 'pill', that bruv'n'law fixed himself - all good
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    pastryboy wrote:
    Is it still working ok?

Mine was fine last year but this year started flickering - now it's lost about 90% of its brightness (happens with any of my three batteries) and is pretty much useless.

Try reading the (very long) What Lights Discussion Thread for possible fixes (checking contacts, checking cells), or post something on the New What Lights Discussion Thread as there are fixes to many problems, and access to components from the DX and BoB websites.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • I have an Aurora P7 which I got in January, still going strong.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    IME cheap torch lights don't take kindly to jolts and bumps they get from the road. I've had cheap torches give up on me but my Fenix L2D is still going strong
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    IME cheap torch lights don't take kindly to jolts and bumps they get from the road. I've had cheap torches give up on me but my Fenix L2D is still going strong

Hmm... mine seem to have survived off-road riding for the last 8 months. Must be that plush full-suss.

Reading the What Light Discussion thread it seems clear that most issue with 'bumps' are caused by not-quite fitting cells (interrupt of current = change mode) and are easily fixed.i
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • The Aurora isn't a cheap torch... well, not by DealExtreme standards anyway. Mine seems well built and robust.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Flickering and dullness is usually down to a poor contact somewhere. Try the switch end first and maybe carefully stretch the contact spring a bit. The trouble with poor contact it draws more current, resulting in dullness and flickering.

If you place a key or paper clip across the torch end and battery (switch cap removed, of course) I am sure it will confirm the LED is nice and bright and should work provided there is a decent contact.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Is there an easy way to stretcth the spring? I couldn't find a way of getting that bit of the torch out so had to try and poke scissors inside.

Every so often it seems to work fine but then randomly starts to flicker again. Not sure why it would suddenly have a problem with the contacts.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Long snipe nose pliers should reach the contact spring. As to why it would suddenly have a problem with the contacts is just one of life's mysteries but actually common enough with these kind of torches.

I found the following link, The LED Troubleshooting Guide, to be helpful:

http://www.articlesbase.com/fashion-articles/led-troubleshooting-guide-2788701.html
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon