gear failure

ade73
ade73 Posts: 70
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
hi folks
riding home from work today and my gears just gave up and the shifter button looks stuck and i can,t press it at all and the derailure does,nt move cables are fine just the shifter when i want to shift up in gear the button won,t press at all its stuck solid what do i need to do guys any tips
cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and the gears are?

frozen cables?

will it shift one way and not the other?

does the mech move if you press/pull it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ade73
    yeah the mech moves on the cables seem fine as when i left work for home they were fine until when i was pedaling my chain kept on slipping a couple of times

then all of a sudden when i wanted to go into a lighter gear thats when i pressed the button on the shifter and found out it was stuck

they are deore gears
  • Is the cable still taught? Can you pull it out of the shifter easily?

Personally i'd cut the cable along the top-tube and then take the shifter apart to see if you can fix it. they're not to hard to pull apart and put back together.
  • ade73
    i had a look at the cables and pulled them they seem to move freely

my only option is to take the shifter apart i pressed the button and it presses a little bit but not all the way its really hard to press
  • Sounds like moisture in the shifter body has frozen.Hardly surprising today. I'd warm it up for half an hour before taking anything apart. You might not need to.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Frozen - thaw it out and see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Slow fingers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ade73
    cheers guys

i,ll leave it overnight as i keep my bike indoors in the hall way by the heating i,ll give it another go tomorrow see what happens
    will let you know the results tomorrow thanks again guys
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    if it does work, get some water dispersing (40) lube in there pronto.
    FCN 12