LLandegla (North wales)/Cannock weekend bike trip advice

kenan
kenan Posts: 952
edited December 2010 in Routes
Planning a weekend bike trip on my own (riding buddys are all busy). I am comming from Devon and wanted to try some of the trail centres I would not normall ride. I was thinking I could spend Saturday at LLandegla, stay in a hotel/B&B overnight and then hit Cannock on the Sunday. Ride a trail in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Not being to either of these places was after some feedback. Are they as good as what I have read or would you reccomend other spots to visit? is there enough there to ride for a whole day etc?

Comments

• Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    More than likely Llandegla will be shut at the weekend due to the weather.....check out the one planet adventure website to confirm though. To behonest there isn't really enough waymarked trail at Cannock for a day.....2hours tops will see you around the Monkey and Follow The Dog...plently of off piste stuff, but its finding it etc....

Sorry to rain on yer parade like! Perhaps a day at Coed y Brenin then Penmach and Marin the next day?
  • kenan
    Trip is planned for weekend 11/12 december and all advice welcome.

I fancy Coed y Brenin but would not want to drive home from there on the Sunday as I might be a little tired. What are the routes here like? Dragons Back looks good.

Could do Cannock and then the Forest of Dean on the way back on Sunday?
  • Closed tomorrow, if it doesn't warm up it will be closed for a while longer

Check here daily for updates

http://www.oneplanetadventure.com/
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Coedy is ace.....dragons back is great, the beast is all the best bits of dragons back and mbr combined....some reallt like tarw-its very rugged, although not one of my faves.....

Not done forest of dean, but I've heard good stuff about the natural trails there :D
  • Brennin is great as is Penmachno. Cannock is my local ride, agre with above post that it will not keep you going all day.

How about quantocks on the way back?

Or stay South Wales and hit Arfan?

Alternately, whilst not a trail centre the Malverns are just off the M5 and give some great riding and stunning views on a clear day.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    You will need an ice axe and crampons for Cannock at the moment. The red trails are 17 miles or so and as above 2-3 hours is the max even for me including tea/chocolate/bacon/cake stops. You could do the blue routes as well and add another 8-9 miles if you feel like it.
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Riding pretty much anywhere at the moment is going to be sketchy due to ice.

If you've not done Cannock before you could two laps.
  • kenan
    Afan/quantocks are a good call but want to ride places I could not normally get to.

Wheres Brennin? I found Penmachno. Are these routes well posted? as I'm on my own don't really wanna get lost so was looking for more established trail centres.

Sort of trails I'm after are ones with big burms, rock gardens rather than XC style routes.
  • jj1048
    jj1048 Posts: 107
    kenan wrote:
    Afan/quantocks are a good call but want to ride places I could not normally get to.

Wheres Brennin? I found Penmachno. Are these routes well posted? as I'm on my own don't really wanna get lost so was looking for more established trail centres.

Sort of trails I'm after are ones with big burms, rock gardens rather than XC style routes.

http://mbwales.com/en/content/cms/centr ... renin.aspx
  • yeh i would go Coed or Macynlleth and so on.

I wouldn't make that trip for cannock though, a fine local trail btu it's not worth the distance unless your passing through as it were then i would stick you nose in.