Question for xboxers / tech geeks and freaks

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited December 2010 in The Crudcatcher
Got home, set up my new xbox, connected via the HDMI cable previously used for my blu-ray player.
Picture works fine but I've got no sound for some reason.
HDMI cable and socket on telly work fine because I just tested them.

why I have no sounds?

talk to me (in small words I'll understand please)

Comments

• hmm ill turn on my xbox via HDMI and have a play

hmm go all the way along on the my xbox tab, til u get to the system settings, then go on console settings, audio, and just play around with those 3 :) see if that works?

if not you can try doing the intial set up again which is at the bottom of system settings, see if that fixes it

also, check tvs not muted, volumes up and the HDMI cable is in properly
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    firt thing, have you got a hammer or a rolling pin?
  • i took that as a given on the grounds its an xbox

not that im biased, but my ps3 get played way more than my xbox :D
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Go into your Xbox menu settings and check it isn't set to optical out.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Got home, set up my new xbox, connected via the HDMI cable previously used for my blu-ray player.
    Picture works fine but I've got no sound for some reason.
    HDMI cable and socket on telly work fine because I just tested them.

why I have no sounds?

talk to me (in small words I'll understand please)

I know exactly what you've done!!!

you haven't plugged in a sound cable.... simples,

you've connected it via something like this?
    hdmi2.jpg

whereas you need something like
    GA-MXHDMi.jpg
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • errrm, no you don't. HDMI carries both the sound and picture.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    alexj2233 wrote:
    errrm, no you don't. HDMI carries both the sound and picture.

not on the xbox 360 it doesn't.... well at least mine and several others didn't....
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • well mine does so :P

Not quite sure why yours wouldn't
  • whaaaaaaaaat?

That's feckin GHEY!

Yes, I used the cables that look like the top ones. You can connect a scart cable up too, but the one that comes with the boc has a flap thing that covers up the HDMI port when it's plugged in, so it's either Scart OR HDMI.

So if my regular HDMI cable works for my bluray player, why wont it work for my xbox? Is it because Microsofft want to rape me in the ass for yet more of my hard (ish) earned money? If I ever meet Steve Ballmer I'm gonna kick him in the nuts!
  • sheepsteeth
    whaaaaaaaaat?

That's feckin GHEY!

If I ever meet Steve Ballmer I'm gonna kick him in the nuts!

or you could use the hammer/rollin pin i asked about for this very reason earlier.
  • is it a new style xbox 360? the kinect compatable ones? cause mines just plugged in with an HDMI, and works fine

however if i use the XBOX HDMI cable on the ps3, it totally fucks the image up, and doesnt play sound.
  • whaaaaaaaaat?

That's feckin GHEY!

If I ever meet Steve Ballmer I'm gonna kick him in the nuts!

or you could use the hammer/rollin pin i asked about for this very reason earlier.

Don't push me, I'm a man on the edge right now!

I'll Hammer your rollin pin in a minute
  • sheepsteeth
    you clearly havent got a rollin pin hammering in you.
  • hes had more rolling pins hammered into him than you've had hot dinners
  • It's true, I walk like the missing link as a result
  • whaaaaaaaaat?

That's feckin GHEY!

Yes, I used the cables that look like the top ones. You can connect a scart cable up too, but the one that comes with the boc has a flap thing that covers up the HDMI port when it's plugged in, so it's either Scart OR HDMI.

So if my regular HDMI cable works for my bluray player, why wont it work for my xbox? Is it because Microsofft want to rape me in the ass for yet more of my hard (ish) earned money? If I ever meet Steve Ballmer I'm gonna kick him in the nuts!

I don't think that you need a xbox specific HDMI lead, i use a cheapo asda one on my xbox and it works fine (this is an old elite though)

Sounds like there is a problem with the settings somewhere. Have you made sure that you TV is set to play the sound from the hdmi.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    alexj2233 wrote:
    errrm, no you don't. HDMI carries both the sound and picture.

not on the xbox 360 it doesn't.... well at least mine and several others didn't....

?

I had a 360 when they first came out and never needed a seperate sound cable, thats the whole point of HDMI for the sound and video to go through one cable no?

Oh btw 360s are crap thats why I sold mine and got a PS3
  • This is why you should have bought a PS3 ;)
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Sound settings on the dashboard. I have an HDMI cable only (no extra sounds cable or whatever) Pretty sure when I got my new TV I had the same problem.
  • Hmmm, been in through the sound settings and that didn't work. Volume on telly is up, sound works on the same telly, through the same input using the BRplayer. Going to borrow a different HDMI cable off a mate tomorrow and see if it's any different. As said above though, I dont see why it should be. An HDMI cable is an HDMI cable, they all do the same thing.

Oh, and to answer an earlier question, it's one of the newones, the kinekt ready 250gb ones.

I will hold off judgement before saying I should have bought a PS3, although right now, I'm almost wishing I had.

Currently playing through scart, which works perfectly well, but seems to defeat the purpose of buying an HD games machine to me.
  • Ok, it's working now. Not sure why, but I *think* it's something to do with my sky+ HD box. I unplugged the HDMI cable from the sky box, and the xbox started working straight away.

Now the only problem that I have is that the lights on the sky box go MENTAL when the xbox is on. the red recording light is flashing really fast, and the power light is cycling htough red, orange, green really fast. :shock: :?
  • Only solution:

xbox + hammer = ps3
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    Explore the HDMI settings on the TV - there'll probably be something ot do with HDMI auto-setup or of that ilk. Fiddle.
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    If you've got an optical output form of speakers use that by an optical lead, thatd sort it but Id imagine you dont or you wouldnt be plugging it into your telly.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    my xbox is currently in brussels after a short visit to frunkfurt to have its red lights turned green again.

:cry:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    Did you try tip-exing the light and colouring it in with a felt tip pen?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Tartanyak wrote:
    Did you try tip-exing the light and colouring it in with a felt tip pen?

nah. just went on t'web and reported the error to MS...they sent UPS round to pick it up last week...i got the email yesterday saying it (well...a console) was now en-route back to me.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Man in pub tells me this red cross of death is a thing of the past with the new "slim" ones.

I suspect I must have just done something retarded, because I've changed no settings at all, and yet it works fine now.

I'm very much an analogue man living in a digital world. :lol:
  • psymon
    psymon Posts: 1,562
    gamer tag?

so i can hand yo' ass to you on a plate at COD.
  • Get rid of the Xbox and ps3.
    Get a scalextric instead.
    More fun!