Rollers Question

amc
amc Posts: 315
edited December 2010 in Road beginners
I’m looking to get some 2nd hand rollers but a couple of quick numpty questions.
Are they all foldable or do you need to get specific ‘foldable’ ones. Space is a real premium in my flat.
Can they be used outside again for space reasons? Obviously not in a huge storm or anything but can they be used in drizzle etc – I’m thinking of using my side return for them.

I’ve been searching through the previous posts and I don’t think I need one’s with resistance as I’ll use the gears and I’m not a powerful rider.
And on the basis of the above, and that I’ll using the classifieds/ebay, would you recommend any particular one.

Cheers
amc

Comments

• jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Most models I've seen are foldable, best bet if you're looking on ebay is to google the model and check that they are, I picked up some Elite Ghibli Prabolic for £80 and they fit nicely in the corner of my bed.

Don't see why you couldn't use them outside as long as it's flat! Not sure about in the rain, the rollers could become slippery and they'd be even harder to stay upright on than they usually are!

Mine don't have resistance and I wouldn't ever attempt to use them for any kind of interval or power training, they're great for keeping your fitness up and "getting some miles in" so to speak, but I can happily push 53x11 at 80ish RPM and not really feel tired at all, on the road I can only ever push that on a descent.

That's said, for £80 I reckon I got a bargain, as although I haven't used them very much yet, I will be using them more when I get my own place.
  • most rollers pack down fairly small as they were primarily used to take to the track or events and warm up.
    agree with the above post, they might be quite slippery in drizzle.
    i use Tacx Antares, gears are really all you need.
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd go for a turbo - you can do harder sessions on them, drizzle shouldnt be an issue to staying on a turbo, and most of them fold down anyway.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Go for the rollers , if you want a harder session use higher gears, if you still want more resistance let your tyre pressure down to about 60psi :lol: it's like going up 5mph. Rollers take a bit of getting used to but once they are mastered they are great and really improve you balance.
    One word of warning:
    keep pets out of the room, i didn't, the cat went in front of me and I swerved........
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • amc
    It sounds daft but what do you think folds down smaller. I'm after something that takes up as little room as possible when not being used - and is very quick to set up and use.
    amc
  • amc
    It sounds daft but what do you think folds down smaller. I'm after something that takes up as little room as possible when not being used - and is very quick to set up and use.
    amc
  • amc
    amc
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Turbo folds smaller. Ditto. Ditto.
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    I clearly have too much time on my hands...

L0QJ.compare.jpg

9pnL.compare2.jpg

As you can see I have a rim drive turbo, if you had a standard turbo, the unit probably wouldn't stick out as high, either way, a turbo takes up maginally less room, neither are going to cause that many issues in reality.