Epic or stumpy FSR?

mattv
mattv Posts: 992
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
After selling everything I own bike-wise, I have just about raised enough cash to get EITHER a Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon OR an Epic Comp.

I shall usually be riding to work, with the intention of riding the odd trails and would like to get into some slightly heavier stuff later on. Not talking Coed y brenin or anywhere.
I suppose my main question is, does anyone know how easily the Epic gets out of its' depth on heavvier trails? I know it is the better choice for the road and most current riding, but I dont want to outgrow it in 6 months else my girlfriend will kill me!
I have ridden both bikes offroad but intend to use this bike to gain some skill in mtb'ing so couldnt put them through their paces.
Any thoughts would be good! Thanks

Comments

• chris13
    chris13 Posts: 148
    I have an Epic and have ridden it everywhere for 5 years. It has done road work, green lanes, trails, mountains, trail centres without fault. All my mates say I need a bigger travel bike but there always behind me so I dont worry. It is a fantastic bike and the new ones are much lighter than my antique. Also, the Epic is a rarer sight out there and mine always gets great attention. The Stumpjumper will be more forgiving and plush on the heavier stuff, and take less skill to ride but the Epic in my opinion is a great bike and lighter than a bigger travel bike on the ups. I have ridden my mates Yeti 575, a Cannondale prophet and S works stumpy and all flatter you and smooth everything out more. The Epic is a laid out position but I have never found it too much. I love it :D

Epic003.jpg

I am selling due to wanting a hardtail to race xc and further hone my skills on.

Either bike will be a blast and spesh make awesome bikes so you wont be dissapointed
  • mattv
    Hmmmm, thats kinda what I was erring towards. I work at a Specialized dealership with good staff discounts, hense the choice of one brand. Now I just have to see if i can scrape together the extra few hundred quid for a carbon one.......
    Thanks
    matt
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    "a stumpy is easier to ride"

"I want a hardtail to hone my skills"

Oh dear...
  • chris13
    chris13 Posts: 148
    Always one. I have my opinion so leave it at that :D

Lucky with the staff discount. A carbon one would be amazing. Im sure whatever you get you will enjoy it.
  • I have a Epic and love it ..... been riding it nealry a year now and its nailed everything i've tackled without fault :)

As said above whatever bike you get you will love :D

Just out of curiosity are you looking at the 2010 or 2011 bikes ?
  • mattv
    Hi, on looking at them the only real advantage of the carbon over the M5 alloy one is the double and bash chainset (whichI really like). It may be a pound lighter at most. I am looking at 2011 models.
    Looks llike an Epic is the way forward then. Will get one on order soon!
    Thanks!
  • topmoxy
    topmoxy Posts: 138
    could try the camber ??? somewhere between the 2
  • mattv
    Camber is significantly heavier, being made of M4 alloy. Good bike, but I am looking at higher spec too. Its not til £2200 that you get double and bashguard chainset, which is carbon to start offsetting the weight of a noticably heavier frame. If I can get away with riding an Epic, then I will. Look gorgeous this year too.
  • mattv
    Thanks for your help, ordered my Epic Comp today. Might be here tomorrow!!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Epic's a good choice, sounds like a Stumpy is overkill frankly! I've had 3 Epics, and they're great bikes, I wouldn't go back to a hardtail for racing if you paid me.