Is a £500 CF Frame......

Hondated
Hondated Posts: 136
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
a £500 frame whatever make you buy or do any particular give you more for your money.
hondated

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not all frames will be the same. Its like anything - not all jackets are the same.
    Your frame may not fit, or suit you. a £500 CF frame may be a worse buy than a £500 ALu or steel frame. CF isnt always the answer.
  • No, there are some atrocious ones and lovely gems...
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    what would you class as a "lovely gem" (at £500 obviously)
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    I don't know about a gem - but I think the new Ribble Stealth looks interesting at that sort of price point... I'm sure there are people on here who can suggest others as well....
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • I've never seen an atrocious carbon frame.
  • You've never looked inside the tubes then...
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    If it's a monocoque construction, the inside of the tubes will always be untidy, just the same as the inside of welds on a steel bike.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Just got an email from Pedal Force about a group buy on one of their frames. Most you'd pay is $850 (plus $130 if you want the fork), but could be as little as $549 if enough folk sign up for it. Highly regarded sub-£500 frames I believe.
    More problems but still living....
  • The problem is that you can make frames soft and flexy (for comfort), super stiff or anything in between. Without an independent review of the frame it's almost impossible to know. Do you know what brand you're looking at or are you thinking of a generic?

At £5-600 though you could probably get a CAAD9, a Canyon (perhaps) or similar and know what you're getting. I'd do that (actually I'd save up £650 and get a 2010 Condor Squadra probably).
  • Hondated
    racingcondor the frames I have been considering are the Focus Cayo and the Ribble New Sportive.
    Thanks again everyone for your responses.
    hondated
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Simon
  • Hondated
    Thanks Simon more to think about
    hondated
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pedal Force make reputedly great frames.

Ribble use them for theirs, amongst others (including Deda)
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Pedal Force make reputedly great frames.

Ribble use them for theirs, amongst others (including Deda)

PF is no more a manfacturer than Ribble. Both are rebranding Taiwanese frames from an unnamed third party.

FWIW my Ribble Sportive (=PF RS2) is an excellent frame that I'd still be riding if I hadn't decided it was a little big. It's for sale btw if anyone near Edinburgh needs a 54/55 size frame. :wink: