Flying 200

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited February 2011 in Track
I had a go at lunchtime, never tried it before. Thought it was timed at 26s but that's obviously not right..

EDITED post for b*****s!

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    No that can't be right - I managed about 21 for a full lap and most of the others, only one or two were regular cyclists.
  • how busy are the lunch time sessions?
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • 9-10 riders...coach shouted something 6 when I passed him, not sixteen and not I think twenty six. Hardly gonna be 6 either....must have been xxdecimal6

EDIT: apparently 12.6...please with that!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    9-10 riders...coach shouted something 6 when I passed him, not sixteen and not I think twenty six. Hardly gonna be 6 either....must have been xxdecimal6

If it was 12.6 that is quick.
    Out of the friday night vets theres only about 4 guys who can go that fast, most are 13s+
  • 9-10 riders...coach shouted something 6 when I passed him, not sixteen and not I think twenty six. Hardly gonna be 6 either....must have been xxdecimal6

Out of the friday night vets theres only about 4 guys who can go that fast, most are 13s+
    Steve seemed quite surprised too, i double checked the time with him last night. I was at last Fridays vets, was a good session legs felt pretty good did OK in the sprint sessions anway. Might be there this week from about 4-30 onwards...
  • oldwelshman
    9-10 riders...coach shouted something 6 when I passed him, not sixteen and not I think twenty six. Hardly gonna be 6 either....must have been xxdecimal6

Steve seemed quite surprised too, i double checked the time with him last night. I was at last Fridays vets, was a good session legs felt pretty good did OK in the sprint sessions anway. Might be there this week from about 4-30 onwards...
    How oldare you? :D may be worth giving i a go in the lvrc sprints and bcf masters.
    As I move up an age category this year I am doing pursuits and sprints :D
    If your doing vets, ride with Ed Demery (bush), Simon Baynes, Johannes Roux (giant), Ian Fagan for sprints to get an idea of speed, they are all pretty quick, for endurance same guys, also Peter Georgi,sometimes Ian Cooper (planet x), Will Fotheringham,(halesowen) Nick Yarworth are all very fast and sometimes Rich Prince goes,he will rip your legs off for sure :D Steve can tell ypu who to follow and try to stay with on both accounts, he knows all the riders.
    I will ease myself back in when I get the cahnce :D

How oldare you? :D may be worth giving i a go in the lvrc sprints and bcf masters.
    As I move up an age category this year I am doing pursuits and sprints :D
    If your doing vets, ride with Ed Demery (bush), Simon Baynes, Johannes Roux (giant), Ian Fagan for sprints to get an idea of speed, they are all pretty quick, for endurance same guys, also Peter Georgi,sometimes Ian Cooper (planet x), Will Fotheringham,(halesowen) Nick Yarworth are all very fast and sometimes Rich Prince goes,he will rip your legs off for sure :D Steve can tell ypu who to follow and try to stay with on both accounts, he knows all the riders.
    I will ease myself back in when I get the cahnce :D

There were a couple of Giant guys last Friday, I did reasonably OK in the knockout sprint exercises...
    I was thinking of doing the winter league from next week, but how do you get into / fnd about the LVRC events? (i'll have a look on the BC website again, but I don't recall seeing anything on there before).
  • oldwelshman
    Most guys in newport will tell you about the lvrc events but their website will also.
    The champs are normally July for BCF and Euro mastrers, then October forworlds and LVRC. The LVRC champs will b in Newport as usual with at least 3 saturday sessions training before hand at newport and manchester for about £6 each for 3 to 4 hours, either on a sat or sunday.
    Your in the good age group :D the 45 to 19 is a nightmare group, very competative :D
  • Hmmm, looking at this years Worlds from the BC website, I'd have come 5th in my group. OK I'm in!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    12.6 is very fast. You must have done it just right. Well done!
  • Pokerface wrote:
    12.6 is very fast. You must have done it just right. Well done!

Thanks! To be fair, though it was the first time I have tried it, I had a much more experienced sprinter showing me the line to take, though I thought I had dropped off the bank half a lap too soon!
  • oldwelshman
    Hmmm, looking at this years Worlds from the BC website, I'd have come 5th in my group. OK I'm in!

Not sure where you looked at that :D you would have come 23rd so not qualified for sprints at this years worlds lol
    http://www.uvp-fpc.pt/pagina.php?id_pagina_new=1382&id_modalidade_new=6#
    You will find it would be ok to enter British events with that time, but not worlds.
    The other big difference with worlds is there are ome guys who are real sprinters who can do 11secsand arepure sprinters and former pros, look at my age group for some times. This means in a match sprint you have nochance unless they do a Chris Hoy with you :D
    British events are different where on average you will get between 2 and 6 pure sprinters so you can be more competative.
    By the way who took you round for thee three laps?Cooky?
  • oldwelshman
    Here was our group meand courtney only enteredbecause we werebored hanging around :D
    The first 4 were pure sprinters as canbe seen from the times :D
    You shoyuld See the size om Geoff Stocker, wouldmake a good prop forward !!

Num Dor Name Cat Country 0 > 100 P. 100>200 P. Time Media
    1º 114 STOKER, Geoff H45 AUSTRALIA 1º 11.116 64,772
    2º 131 HAYES, Todd H45 USA 2º 11.273 63,869
    3º 113 VERNET, Philippe H45 FRANCE 3º 11.330 63,548
    4º 142 DIEFENBACH, Matthew H45 USA 4º 11.370 63,325
    5º 90 STEPHENS, Martin H45 GREAT BRITAIN 5º 11.583 62,160
    6º 139 ABERS, Brian H45 USA 6º 11.637 61,872
    7º 129 POPPLEWELL, Michael H45 AUSTRALIA 7º 11.705 61,512
    8º 127 KURZAWINSKI, Krzysztof H45 CANADA 8º 11.827 60,878
    9º 100 DENT, Adrian H45 GREAT BRITAIN 9º 12.019 59,905
    10º 104 LEINENWEBER, Didier H45 FRANCE 10º 12.071 59,647
    11º 141 PELLETIER, Mark H45 USA 11º 12.140 59,308
    12º 132 FINATTI, Dario H45 ITALY 12º 12.233 58,857
    13º 146 HARFORD, Kerry H45 NEW ZEALAND 13º 12.293 58,570
    14º 125 GULICK, David H45 USA 14º 12.513 57,540
    15º 96 MILLS, David H45 GREAT BRITAIN 15º 12.537 57,430
    16º 136 ROWE, Courtney H45 GREAT BRITAIN
  • It was the LVRC results, not worlds - knew summat wasnt right....

It was Ioan that showed me the line to take (and no I didn't draft him, I could never have stayed with him when he kicked anyway).
  • oldwelshman
    Ioanor Ieuyan ? :D
    Ypu would be surprised how far away you can be and get a tow.
    The sprinters do flying efforts 5m apart and you get a tow, that was the only time I have been below 12secs I was behind Jim Varnish. You get a tow even if about 10m behind then after that it tails off a lot.
    Different people have different lines and also kick at different points.
    Younger riders can kick from top of turn 3, I dont even go off turn 4 I go in the home straight as I drop down. Reason being that I cannot hold max power for over 20 seconds like them so best for me to leave it a bit later.
    You will only find whats best for you from trying different lines and where to kick from.
    Also if you go too fast first 1.5 laps can tire you also.
    It gets fun when you have to do 12.5 at end of a ball busting fast scratch race :D Any slower than that and you wont be in top 5.
  • Ioan wailliams I *think*

He pulled up and away as I dropped off the bank. Its just a idea, not going to take it that seriously, wont have the time to as ever....
  • varno
    varno Posts: 52
    Its as much about technique as well as power and speed. If yiu have some good endurance in your legs you can afford to roll in quite quickly as you may not fade of in the 2nd 100. That said a lot of riders are rolling in slower no very high and kicking later with a huge jump and making a quicker 1st 100. with practise you should be able to hit a sub 12 without too much specilaisation.V
  • 4 hour session on Saturday, so will soon find out. Am determijned to keep at it using a 90" gear too.

Practicing standing 750 lunchtime, good fun.
  • varno wrote:
    Its as much about technique as well as power and speed. If yiu have some good endurance in your legs you can afford to roll in quite quickly as you may not fade of in the 2nd 100. That said a lot of riders are rolling in slower no very high and kicking later with a huge jump and making a quicker 1st 100. with practise you should be able to hit a sub 12 without too much specilaisation.V

Thanks for the advice Jim (EDIT - thanks Eddy for putting me right!) - though it's easy for you to say!

I'm thinking of taking part in the fasttrack coaching sprint clinic weekend, and joining the sprinters at Newport on a Friday night, but I know that I am going to get my legs ripped off!
  • varno
    varno Posts: 52
    Thats cool mate no problem at all..happy to help out..

The Friday session will be tough and yep you will probably getting ripped up but its only training at that what its for...As the Aussies say..."If your going well in training go home!!" The session with Lee and Legro will be perfect for you..

Good Luck, let me know how you go..best to Eddy...Jess calls him "The Beast". ;-)

Jim.
  • varno wrote:
    Thats cool mate no problem at all..happy to help out..

The Friday session will be tough and yep you will probably getting ripped up but its only training at that what its for...As the Aussies say..."If your going well in training go home!!" The session with Lee and Legro will be perfect for you..

Good Luck, let me know how you go..best to Eddy...Jess calls him "The Beast". ;-)

Jim.

I did Lee and David's extended SQT session this afternoon, think we did 6 drills, all 200s apart for one where I did an extra lap. Enjoyed it, good to be riding with other sprinters, learnt a lot, particularly about timing of the kick, and how to change a chainring quickly! I didn't think I'd had much of a hard session when I left, but now my legs feel pretty knackered, back hurts as if I'd just ridden a 50 mile TT after a year off.
    None of the runs were timed, so all I had to go on was the max speed readout from my comp for each drill, from memory first 200 was on a 90" - 38.4max, changed to a 92" after that, went slower next two attempts (36 ish) then a couple of 39s. I am sure the first two runs I was watching the others, and waiting to kick, last two I went when I was ready to go. Enjopyable afternoon, but a long long way to go...!
  • Is anyone doing the sprint weekend? Seem to have managed to put myself down for it, but have no idea what to expect - by the sound of things here it will be a babtism of fire :shock:
    It doesn't get any easier, but I don't appear to be getting any faster.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Is anyone doing the sprint weekend? Seem to have managed to put myself down for it, but have no idea what to expect - by the sound of things here it will be a babtism of fire :shock:
    I did both of Lee and Legro's sprint camps last year (Flying 200 and Sprint Tactics). I can't attend this year as I'm still recovering from my broken leg.

You have nothing to worry about. Make sure you go with an open mind and a set of fresh legs. Listen to Lee and Dave - you will learn a lot to take away from this weekend.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.