carbon seat post : is it just a piece of bling ???

Devastazione
Devastazione Posts: 280
edited November 2010 in MTB general
....or there's a true advantage in investing in one ?? How does the carbon seatpost-carbon frame match cope with time and use ?? :( .
Should one throw in a carbon seat clamp too ??
Specialized Tarmac Sworks
Canyon Spectral 8.9

Comments

• I have a carbon post on my steel 456 and on my pompino, they do seem to noticeably flex more, and be more comfortable than aluminium alloy posts.

Carbon seat-clamps i'd avoid as I'm fairly sure aluminium alloy ones are lighter and work better, for sensible money. Depending on the frame (seattube size) you often get a lot more comfort shimming down to a 27.2mm post than sticking a large carbon post in as the skinny posts flex more.

That said, i've got an alloy post in my carbon 456 and i'll be replacing it with a drop post when the reverb arrives in the country.
  • I've been offered a Reverb for my Zesty 714 carbon but I'm waiting to switch back to ALU for that,I have feeling that carbon frame and all mountain don't get along too much,but it's just me... :?

CRC has the Reverb already actually,and for a cool price too 8)
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Yes, carbon will cut out some of the trail buzz and flex a little giving you a little more comfort (I'm assuming you're on a HT). Wouldn't bother with the carbon clamp.

As for use over time, as long as you look after it and grease them correctly you'l be fine.
  • CRC has the Reverb already actually,and for a cool price too 8)

No they dont :wink:
  • No they don't, i'm waiting for the distributors to get them in.... Had one on order for aaaaages now.
  • They do sell a mix of Carbon and Alu I think?

I have this on my bike

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41346

No idea why I ended up getting it, just light and price I guess but it has never failed me and is still working well. I don't get any creaking out of it but you can fell it flex from time to time.
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • No they don't, i'm waiting for the distributors to get them in.... Had one on order for aaaaages now.

I have had on for ages lol
  • Devastazione
    Devastazione Posts: 280
    edited November 2010
    LjStronge wrote:
    They do sell a mix of Carbon and Alu I think?

I have this on my bike

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41346

No idea why I ended up getting it, just light and price I guess but it has never failed me and is still working well. I don't get any creaking out of it but you can fell it flex from time to time.

Did you have any issue in fixing it on your bike and not having it slip down the seatpost tube ??
    I've just bought a Truvativ carbon one on an impulse buy only to realize later on that the damn thing is so glitzy and shiny for the whole body,I'm afraid it won't get along my carbon frame and I really don't trust those weird carbon gripping pastes on the market. I would really love this to be a set it and forget it operation for a safe ride.... :roll:
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • Devastazione, seriously, carbon assembly paste... it's magic. I had issues with my monkeylites spinning round when the bolts were torqued correctly (calibrated torque wrench), carbon assembly paste and I could move them once i'd just spun the bolts in by hand! Same on all my posts now, just because i'm a fat bastard and otherwise i get annoying creep!

Rick Draper lucky you, but I have a part time job in the lbs so can get them at staff discount from the supplier, it's very frustrating because I want one badly but cannot justify the extra cost for getting one at near retail :?
  • Rick Draper lucky you, but I have a part time job in the lbs so can get them at staff discount from the supplier, it's very frustrating because I want one badly but cannot justify the extra cost for getting one at near retail :?

I recon mine probably cost less than UK retail 8)
  • I looked at the US website you used for your blur when it popped up, still can justify the extra 8) 8)
  • They price match :D
  • :shock:

I'm fairly sure they wont price match the uk distributor for an out of stock item, but it's an interesting idea, might fire them off an e-mail tomorrow... :D
  • nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    Tap the missus up for a bit of hairspray, on the carbon to carbon contact areas. I kid you not, works a treat.
    Finished