giant trance X

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
i'm still looking around for a new bike/frame for next year. is the giant trance X an all mountain frame or leaning more towards freeride?

i have a felt compulsion 2 now. is it along similar lines to that? i want something that's hard enough for the downs but still a pretty good climber.

i've been looking at:

mondraker foxy r
lapierre zesty 314
and the trance X or X2

possibly at buying a heckler frame and transferring the parts over :?

Comments

• Definitely not freeride. I have last year's frame, more trails/AM orientated. Although still lightweight, can build one up to 25lbs so can XC if you want?
  • welshkev
    Definitely not freeride. I have last year's frame, more trails/AM orientated. Although still lightweight, can build one up to 25lbs so can XC if you want?

cool, that's what i wanted to hear. i want a bike that's more of an am bike than xc, but can still hack an all day xc ride if i want to :D

i've been looking at last years frame, you can pick them up for around £600 now new, hmm. i think we have a new leader :lol:
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    I have last years trance, really nice frame, seems tough as hell but as mentioned it's not as heavy as similar frames.
  • Welshkev,

I've got a 2010 Trance X4 and, I believe, the frame's the same all the way through the range - it's just the quality (and, therefore, weight) of the components that allows the build to come down from the 32lbs of mine to the 26lbs of the X1 (or lower if you build it yourself).

Although I'm only a beginner it's handled everything that I've thrown at it so far (lots of long Peak rides + black runs at Llandegla & Cwmcarn), so it sounds ideal for you.

If we'd managed to arrange that spin at Cwmcarn you could have had a look yourself - I'm now planning to be in South Wales on Tues 14th / Weds 15th of Dec so, even if we don't get out for a spin, you can have a look at the bike then if you want.
  • welshkev
    Proutster wrote:
    Welshkev,

I've got a 2010 Trance X4 and, I believe, the frame's the same all the way through the range - it's just the quality (and, therefore, weight) of the components that allows the build to come down from the 32lbs of mine to the 26lbs of the X1 (or lower if you build it yourself).

Although I'm only a beginner it's handled everything that I've thrown at it so far (lots of long Peak rides + black runs at Llandegla & Cwmcarn), so it sounds ideal for you.

If we'd managed to arrange that spin at Cwmcarn you could have had a look yourself - I'm now planning to be in South Wales on Tues 14th / Weds 15th of Dec so, even if we don't get out for a spin, you can have a look at the bike then if you want.

cheers mate, if i can blag my way out of work for half an hour i might just take you up on that :D hmmm, i feel a dentist appointment coming on :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have got a 2010 Trance X3. It's more for trail/XC and light AM definately not freeride.
    I have ridden everything from long XC routes to downhill tracks on mine, it seems pretty tough. It climbs extremely well, the meastro suspension does a great job of isolating pedal forces from the suspension. It is perfect for trail centre riding, more than capable of any black runs.
    If I was doing a custom build I would go for a fork that can be adjusted between 120mm & 140mm travel, that would possibly make it even better. My Trance X3 weighs 28lb with basic Deore components & basic mavic wheels so I guess it could easily be built down to 25lb or maybe less.
    Sizing can be a bit odd so try one before you decide what size frame to get. I'm 6" and between medium & large sizes so I got a medium and tweeked it to fit me with new bars, seat post etc.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    the trance is giants xc/trail bike the reign is there aggressive trail/am bike.
  • My mate has got a 2009 Trance 2 it is a great bike, Its great looking and ideally suited to your riding (a bit nuts).

His is in black and is really good looking in a cool no nonsense way, i'm sure i could arrange a viewing if you wanted
  • welshkev
    My mate has got a 2009 Trance 2 it is a great bike, Its great looking and ideally suited to your riding (a bit nuts).

His is in black and is really good looking in a cool no nonsense way, i'm sure i could arrange a viewing if you wanted

what do you mean my riding is a bit nuts :wink: :shock:

yeah, the frame i've been looking at is a black one so i'd like to take a look at his, cheers mate. how's the ribs coming on?