Formula Oro Pads Bargain

darren555
darren555 Posts: 194
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
Genuine sintered Oro pads - 2 pairs delivered for £23.98 :o

http://www.lexs.co.uk/Default.aspx?Product=Formula%20Sintered%20Disc%20Pads%20-%20Oro&ProductId=20780

I ordered mine on Sunday and they arrived this morning.

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Only twice the price of Superstar sintered pads ;)
  • Yeah that's true but it seems to be a fairly common theme that people try Superstar and other aftermarket pads then end up going back to the originals, whatever the brakes.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Darren555 you sound like epic fail.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • peter413
    Darren555 wrote:
    Yeah that's true but it seems to be a fairly common theme that people try Superstar and other aftermarket pads then end up going back to the originals, whatever the brakes.

Where the hell did you get that from :lol:
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Superstars for the K18's are, in my experience, a right pain to fit. They are however good pads and very well priced.
  • Eranu wrote:
    Superstars for the K18's are, in my experience, a right pain to fit. They are however good pads and very well priced.

I know others who have similar comments with Avids.

I'm happy to be erroneous on this one but the fact remains that it is a bloody good price for the original pads.

Popstar you sound like you spend far to much time on the internet.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Popstar in the flesh

fat_internet.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • popstar
    That is some stylish photo.

£22 for original pads? I'm way better off with fake ones for £7, there is slight perfomance issue (don't bite as sharp as original ones) but to my level of riding it's not that crucial.

Darren you would do very well advising peeps in LBS, thats for sure.

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    peter413 wrote:
    Only twice the price of Superstar sintered pads ;)

But eight times less likely to fall apart.
  • popstar
    Superstars didn't fall apart on me. They may have some trouble long time ago with quality control but not these days. Now they are top stuff and value for money.

• Quite happy with my superstar pads, no issues with mine, just about to order some more so I have some spares.
    Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 2010
    Yeti SB66
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    i've had two sets of superstar pads, both were rubbish so i went back to the originals in my oro k18's....
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The only pads I've had fall apart were Shimano OEM, and I had a Disco one chunk up really badly, never had it happen to Superstar but I'm sure it happens- as far as I can tell it's just something that pads do occasionally. Never had any reason to look elsewhere for pads though. And no idea how anyone would have trouble fitting them in Oros, I've probably done about 10 changes with my 2 sets now, with all 3 of Superstar's flavours of pads, and it really couldn't be easier.

Quite a few people have commented on fit issues with Juicies, never used them in Avid myself but people I trust reckon it's down to the locating hole thing not being quite perfect. And my XT ones were just fractionally too wide for the caliper due to the thickness of the paint, but I just chased that off, took about 2 seconds.

They're good kit. And you can buy the exact same stuff under different brands for more.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    I wonder if the Nukeproof pads are the same as SS ones since a lot of other SS kit is the same as Nukeproofs
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Dunno, never met one. There was quite a funny thread on Singletrackworld... They hate Superstar over there. Anyway, another company started selling the exact same pads, except that they cost about £2 more per pair, and they charged postage. But loads of STW people got all excited- they wouldn't buy from Superstar because "Superstar pads fall apart" and they wouldn't buy "cheap rubbish" but they'd buy the same part for about 33% more, from a completely unknown seller. Marvellous.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    I wonder why they hate SS there :roll: :lol:
  • popstar
    According to bikemagic* etc superstars did have some issues at an early stage with their quality control. Pads did collapse then. Suppose maybe tell tale posts had an effect on peeps confidence? STWs have a lot of hippies around spreading stories?

• popstar wrote:
    According to bikemagic* etc superstars did have some issues at an early stage with their quality control. Pads did collapse then. Suppose maybe tell tale posts had an effect on peeps confidence? STWs have a lot of hippies around spreading stories?

More like monks banging their heads with planks.