tyres

morleyman200
morleyman200 Posts: 513
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
as you have probably seen im looking at new wheels, well they are all sorted but now i need to find a set of tyres to stick on them.

the rims will be tubeless, will be riding ''trail'' and ''all mountain'' riding. the rim is a flow and will be using the yellow tape + sealant.

i understand i don't have to get tubeless ready ones. so i am looking into that route, im looking at the maxxis ardent, what do you think, but it comes in 4 types;
LUST £35, 3c compound £48, dual ply £34, single ply £23.

which one would be the best, if the single or dual ply are as good as the LUST ones then ill get them as they are cheaper, so what do you think?

tom

Comments

• Go for the LUST ones as they'll seal/seat better.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Can't comment on the LUST version but the 2.25 60a folder (non-EXO) is most excellent up front, a proper fit-and-forget tyre. The Aspen is also not too shabby if you're looking for something a little less burly and the Advantage is great on loose pebbles.
  • If using Stan's sealant I'd just go for the bog standard single ply folding version. Stans website reports no issues with any standard Maxxis tyre.

http://www.notubes.com/support_tire.php
  • i know they state they are 2.25 but ive heard maxxis are sometimes narrow for there size, does anyone know the actual measurement of the width on these tyres.

tom
  • The Ardents come up big for thier size. I've got a 2.25 Ardent which is bigger than a 2.35 Minion and the 2.25 Panaracer Cinders that I used to run previously. Not sure of the exact width as I've took it off for playing in the snow.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    i know they state they are 2.25 but ive heard maxxis are sometimes narrow for there size, does anyone know the actual measurement of the width on these tyres.

These are modern Maxxis on the newer carcass so come up pretty accurate. Basically if a model comes in a 2.35, the sizing will be all fibs, if it comes in a 2.25 it'll be pretty close.

(I've got a 2.7 Minion that measures exactly 2.5, a 2.5 Minion that measures exactly 2.35 and a 2.35 minion that disappointingly breaks the cycle and measures 2.15.)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Northwind wrote:
    (I've got a 2.7 Minion that measures exactly 2.5, a 2.5 Minion that measures exactly 2.35 and a 2.35 minion that disappointingly breaks the cycle and measures 2.15.)

Thats funny because I have a High Roller that measures 2.35 when it is and two Minions that measure 2.35 when they are and a High Roller that measures 2.5 when it is and a Minion that measures 2.5 when it is :lol:

They just look narrower than others :?
  • Northwind
    I bet you ten scottish pence you don't.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    I bet you ten scottish pence you don't.

Do you mean they don't?

And I did measure them using a ruler from one side knob to the other (make of that what you will :lol: )
  • Northwind
    I'll bring my verniers and a camera on saturday and then there will be a reckoning :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    DSCF2902.jpg

There you go Northwind, thats my 2.5 Minion measuring up 2.5
  • Northwind
    That's round not across, measurement fail... Width at widest point to widest point.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Well it comes up 2.5 if you measure it that way which might be the way Maxxis measured them :lol:
  • Northwind
    Nah, because it doesn't work for all their tyres y'see. Like Conti, no consistency, you can find a way that works for some but not for others and that's pointless. And also gives no actual indication of the size. Which is why you measure width.
    Uncompromising extremist