Single speed buying advice

themyers
themyers Posts: 69
edited November 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I am after some advice on single speed mountain bikes. I dont know much about MTBs as come from a roadie background but am selling my gear as am not using it apart from my roadie single speed.

Gonna be riding it in the new forest and purbecks and really fancy a single speed. My budget is £500 tops really, so I was wondering what should I go for e.g. OTP, build my own (have built road bikes so presume it cant be that different), should I go for rigid or suspended forks? I was set on a steel frame but that is about it. If anything came up second hand I would be keen too but again not that sure what I am looking for.

Cheers in advance

Andy

Comments

• jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    The Genesis io is a fantastic bike for about £600 all in. Sometimes crop up on ebay etc for about £350. Reynolds 520 steel frame, horizontal drop-outs, P2 style rigid forks.

In it's rigid guise it went all over the lakes, peaks and various trail centres. It was brilliant at making boring trails such as Sherwood Pines seem exciting.

Most fun bike I've ever owned or ridden.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Trawl ebay for a Sanderson soloist...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • genesis looks good, saw a sanderson frame for sale on some site for about 250, wonder what the rest of the build would end up costing?
  • +1 for the genesis io.

I've got one with a marzochi 44 100mm fork on. Apart from that its got all the stock parts. If you could get a second hand one for less than 500 you'd be getting a brilliant bike that won't let you down in any conditions.

I actually prefer riding it to my meta which cost 4 times more!
  • cool ok, so it is defo stacking up for the genesis, now need to find a second hand one preferably - shout if you see one!
  • I bought my white inbred for £200, that'd leave enough money for a decent set of tyres and new forks...

That'd be my aim.
  • wow that is a sexy machine! ok will investigate also