The Best XC Fork And Wheelset For A Fat Bloke

arnoldx3
arnoldx3 Posts: 15
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi i have a scott spark rc 2009 model which i need to get built i mainly ride xc and i am after the lightest bike i can build but still want it strong any way can anyone help me with forks and wheelset i weigh 90kg and i am hankering after some dt swiss forks 100mm and dt swiss wheels from chainreaction cycles through there custom wheel builder what would you all recommend budget is around £750 for forks and around the same for wheels fully built thanks for any help

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    I thought it came with a RS SID and DT 4.2's on 240 hubs ? if so why change ???

£1,500 is a lot to spend for little gain...

Also you say a fat bloke ?? your 90kg....if strength is an issue this usually incurs more weight...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Hi thanks for the reply i should of said i only have the frame
    what are the forks like as standard can i get a lighter set of forks which are as strong
    also i meant fat bloke as i am a little overweight but i am also well built
    has anybody ridden Rock Shox SID World Cup XX thanks for your reply
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Post the links to the Forks and Wheels....you may get some alternatives suggested that will be as good at a lower cost..

Such as this
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSSIDWD80 ... nd-pushloc
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    Hi i have a 09 spark Ltd and the dtswiss forks are pretty good you are under the 95kg weight limit so why not go for them.

you should just be able to get the xrc100 race 2011 for your £750.

As for wheels for £750 i would go dtswiss 240 and some stans rims depending on how hard your going to ride
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    i'd go for magura forks , i got a set and the best i've ever owned . very good quality and very stiff , no twisting ect. plus they are lighter and stiffer than dt swiss forks but don't have the carbon . but they can do any colour from white to pink . could get cris king wheels for £750
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    NatoED wrote:
    i'd go for magura forks , i got a set and the best i've ever owned . very good quality and very stiff , no twisting ect. plus they are lighter and stiffer than dt swiss forks but don't have the carbon . but they can do any colour from white to pink . could get cris king wheels for £750

I think your forget the dt swiss race forks which are about 180g lighter than the durins or 210g if you go with out the lock out.

As for stiffness i notice little between my xrc 100's and my old fox F100's and they were solid.

ive never ridden the maguras so they may be stiffer but lighter not now.