What PS3 steering wheel?

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited December 2010 in The Crudcatcher
Wha gwarn mi bredrin. I'm looking for a PS3-compatible steering wheel & pedals to use with GT5 and F1 2010 etc.

Logitech's Driving Force seems to be the weapon of choice but I wondered if there were any others?

TIA

Comments

• El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    I've tried a few, including a Lotus one, but I find I'm much better at driving with a 'normal' controller.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    None. They all suck.
  • .blitz
    Why do you think
    They all suck
    Andy?
  • Andy
    I just haven't found one that works as well as a standard controller.

I've got a Thrustmaster Ferrari one and the actual wheel is far too small. The other one I tried was a logitech one and I just could never get the settings right on it. You turned the wheel 2mm and the car is hand break turning or you full lock it and the car barely changes course.

Just prefer the standard PS3 controller.
  • .blitz
    Ah OK thanks for that. I thought a wheel would be better than the controller but maybe that's not the case :?
  • Andy
    By all means give one a go. I got the Thrustmaster one from Game for like £25 which isn't a massive amount to experiment with. Just not for me is all.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Andy wrote:
    I just haven't found one that works as well as a standard controller.

This...
  • the only one i will go for is the G25 or the G27

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-G27-Ra ... 282&sr=1-1

because i can't afford that yet, that the reason why i haven't got the game yet.... :oops:
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Andy wrote:
    None. They all suck.
    I have a Logitech Driving Force Pro which is old now but for the games which support wheels properly (Gran Turismo Playstation plus loads of PC games) it is absolutely superb. The higher end wheels like G25/27 are even better by all accounts.

Cheap/crap wheels are worse than a joypad. A good wheel however is light years ahead.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    I've got this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Drivin ... 198&sr=8-141CPVOMhJYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's really fookin good for the money. I paid £40 for mine a year ago, it's the official GT wheel and if you read the reviews and look at youtube reviews you'll see it's very well rated.

You need to have a sturdy desk/stand to mount it on because it's got some kick to the force feedback and if you turn the feedback right up you'll get tired arms after an hour or so playing it.

Without spending upwards of £300 your not going to get any better.
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • soy_sauce wrote:
    the only one i will go for is the G25 or the G27

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-G27-Ra ... 282&sr=1-1

because i can't afford that yet, that the reason why i haven't got the game yet.... :oops:

This is the one, silly money tho.

Gtplanet.net has a fair few comments on the different wheels available.
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Look at Fanatec.

Again silly money but if you want realism then its only going to be G27 or Fanatec. Every other wheel is just what you find on the arcades! The more you spend the better value in the long run, you will use it a lot more.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't know if this is still the case with the PS3, but even though the PS2 supported the Logitech G25, it could not make full use of it. The only way to take full advantage was on the PC (you know, where driving sims belong :wink: )
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    i agree that the best are the G27 and G25 but for the money you really can't beat the gt force and I am very happy with it.
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • Andy
    Anyone who spends £100+ on a steering wheel for a console is an idiot.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Andy wrote:
    Anyone who spends £100+ on a steering wheel for a console is an idiot.

What about PC?
  • Andy
    That too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    even if 6 years later, it's still going strong, and is still getting used?
    Seems about the same level of sensibility as buying the guitar hero or rock band setup to me.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I agree with IcarusGreen about the GT force one

Got one in game about a year ago for a trade in of an old and battered PSP, very very happy with it